Gastropoda (Ukraine) ?

Kolya

Gastropods with this form are to be found from the paleozoic to the present day, so it's not possible to start identifying or finding out its age without the necessary stratigraphic information. I would suggest you study a geological map of the area you have mentioned to find out more details.

• I found this Informative 1

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Thank You very much!

By geological map, in this place must be neogene. But some fossils which I found there are from cretaceus or paleogene...

And since that looks to be a steinkern, the odds of an accurate ID are sort of slim.

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

Looks like you've got a lot to choose from, even when you can determine exactly which epoch it's from. If you found it in an exposure, then that's good for a start. If it was just lying somewhere, then you need to explore the area in order to find the exposure which it came from. Once you have determined an exposure, then you can try to find out which geological epoch, and better stage and/or formation it belongs to. Determining the zone or the horizon is even better. Only then does it make sense to begin to search for literature on the gastropods which can be found within the time frame to which you have narrowed it down. Good luck!

It is an internal mold (steinkern) of a high-spired gastropod, possibly a turritellid.  However there are many possible genera and many more species.  Identification requires a well preserved exterior of the shell showing ornament (ribs, nodes etc), the aperture, and sometimes the earliest whorls.  The only hope of making even an informed guess about such a steinkern is if you know exactly what formation it came from, and if you can find out what species of gastropods are known to occur in that formation based on well-preserved shells.  Then you might be able to match your specimen to a well established species, as long as there aren't too many species to match to.  However, since you have Cretaceous, Paleogene, and Neogene as possible ages there is unfortunately no chance of making a specific ID of this specimen.

Don

19 minutes ago, Kolya said:

Thanks to all!

I am not paleontologist and it is hard to me to determine an age, but I will try!)

Thanks once more!

I'm not either, but with patience and perseverance one can learn what one needs to know. Good luck to you.

12 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

I'm not either, but with patience and perseverance one can learn what one needs to know. Good luck to you.

Thanks! You are right!)

1 hour ago, FossilDAWG said:

It is an internal mold (steinkern) of a high-spired gastropod, possibly a turritellid.  However there are many possible genera and many more species.  Identification requires a well preserved exterior of the shell showing ornament (ribs, nodes etc), the aperture, and sometimes the earliest whorls.  The only hope of making even an informed guess about such a steinkern is if you know exactly what formation it came from, and if you can find out what species of gastropods are known to occur in that formation based on well-preserved shells.  Then you might be able to match your specimen to a well established species, as long as there aren't too many species to match to.  However, since you have Cretaceous, Paleogene, and Neogene as possible ages there is unfortunately no chance of making a specific ID of this specimen.

Don

Very good explained, Don !