dirtdauber

Finished preparing this big old crab a couple of weeks ago. Easily the most difficult prep that I've attempted because of spotty preservation and pyritization. Estimating that I spent about 240+ hours on prep and it is still ugly. Have not been able to ID yet, but hopefully there is enough detail to come up with an ID eventually. What do you think, Alex? Was enclosed in a nodule that was broken. Collected the larger piece in February 2019 and the right cheliped in September 2018. The carapace is about 8.5" long and 8.0" wide. The chelipeds, measured along the outside edge are about 22" long and are about equal in size. Attached are a few photos. Collected from the lower Ripley Fm., Upper Cretaceous (Late Campanian) in south-central Alabama, USA.

BigCrab_ventral1d.jpg

bigcrab1b.jpg

bigcrab1e.jpg

bigcrab2b.jpg

bigcrab3a.jpg

bigcrab5a.jpg

Edited by dirtdauber
Forgot to include geology.
  • I found this Informative 13

Holy Cow! What a preparative nightmare! 

8 minutes ago, dirtdauber said:

about 240+ hours on prep

!!! Congrats to your dedication, endurance and patience !!!

9 minutes ago, dirtdauber said:

still ugly

You can be proud of it! Its a child of labor and love!! Very well done, I never would have the patience for doing something like that!

Franz Bernhard

7 minutes ago, FranzBernhard said:

Holy Cow! What a preparative nightmare! 

!!! Congrats to your dedication, endurance and patience !!!

You can be proud of it! Its a child of labor and love!! Very well done, I never would have the patience for doing something like that!

Franz Bernhard

Thanks, Franz. I was really getting tired of it towards the end, but finally finished. Began working it during the first week in May and finished it the second week in September.

• I found this Informative 1

2 minutes ago, caterpillar said:

Maybe Avitelmessus

No, not Avitelmessus. I have compared it to Avitelmessus and the claws are much different. 

Wow it is definitely an ugly bug :D but an pretty amazing preparation job. I really think it is an interesting specimen and would look great in anybody’s collection. Time well spent.

I have been thinking about doing a thread  “show us your ugly fossils and now  I think you have found the poster boy.  :envy:

2 hours ago, Uncle Siphuncle said:

Show it to George Phillips.

He and other paleontologists have seen it. Difficult to ID because of poor preservation.

• I found this Informative 1

13 hours ago, DLB said:

Holy #### that looks like a head ache to me  great job must have been lots of work to get it to look this nice.

Thanks. Liked it less and less as the hours, days, and months wore on, but I think it might be a new species, so could be worth the headaches. Have you seen any crabs this large? -- George