Carboniferous of Pittsburgh, PA

Italo40

Hello everybody,

In my forst post, I'm asking you to identify this fossil that I found this summer in a public park of Pittsburgh, Pennsilvanya. I found it alongside rocks dating to the Carboniferous bearing marine fossils (mostly crinoids stems). I have not removed the matrix yet, but the exposed surface of the fossil is less than 1 cm (0,40") long. The magnified pics were taken at 20x.

I can't think of anything that I know of. Can you help me?

Thank you, 

Fabio

IMG-20190917-WA0002.jpg

IMG-20190906-WA0011.jpg

IMG-20190906-WA0010.jpg

Follow me on Instagram (@italian_fossilhunter).

Either a scale or a tooth. Can you get a pic of the other end? I might be seeing enamel or it could just be rock.

IMG-20190917-WA0002.thumb.jpg.06afef5fb046a799f43bbf30c39a1743.jpg.1445fea1346f3c57aa2cedda3783fb1a.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Enlarged, cropped, and brightened: 

IMG-20190917-WA0002.thumb.jpg.06afef5fb046a799f43bbf30c39a1743.jpg   IMG-20190906-WA0011.thumb.jpg.b34b8958bc40911b3a6e857277f004f6.jpg

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Thank you guys! Tooth or scale are the most plausible answers, given the shape, color and size.

I think that only removing the matrix it's possibile to give a definitive answer.

I'll update you once I'll have prepared the specimen 

Thanks, 

Fabio

Hm interesting. I'd like to see additional pictures once this is fully prepped.

I think this is Ames Limestone. I generally agree that this looks to be vertebrate but I am having trouble placing it. More prep might help that.

Which park? Frick?

36 minutes ago, jdp said:

Hm interesting. I'd like to see additional pictures once this is fully prepped.

I think this is Ames Limestone. I generally agree that this looks to be vertebrate but I am having trouble placing it. More prep might help that.

Which park? Frick?

Hi jdp,

Yes it was Frick Park!

I did not know that I could find fossils there, so when I saw large fossil-bearing boulders I was very amazed! 

That's the only rock I took home, but it seems very interesting.

For sure I'll work on it ASAP

Fabio 

Looks like a fish scale to me as well. If it’s from the Ames, a marine unit, then it’s probably from a small paleoniscoid fish. These were small ray-finned fish that were very common in the Carboniferous. Scales like this and teeth, and even partial specimens can be found in the Pittsburgh area.

So what I will say is that I don't think this is an actinopterygian scale. The reason for that is that, despite having fine ridges, there's no ganoine and instead there are periodic tiny holes which probably represent blood or nerve supply from within the bone to the dermis. Actinopts also have a really conspicuous peg-in-socket system I don't see here. I'm wondering if maybe this is some sort of sarcopt or early tetrapod, but I'm having trouble sorting that out from the anatomy present. 

On 9/17/2019 at 9:28 AM, Italo40 said:

Hi jdp,

Yes it was Frick Park!

I did not know that I could find fossils there, so when I saw large fossil-bearing boulders I was very amazed! 

That's the only rock I took home, but it seems very interesting.

For sure I'll work on it ASAP

Fabio 

What sorts of fossils did you see in the other rocks? I'm trying to figure out if this is Ames Limestone (Marine) or Casselman Formation (freshwater)

4 hours ago, jdp said:

What sorts of fossils did you see in the other rocks? I'm trying to figure out if this is Ames Limestone (Marine) or Casselman Formation (freshwater)

I took a few pictures. I can distinguish a brachiopod (less probably a bivalve), a few crinoid stems and solitary corals. No doubt then that it is a marine assemblage!

IMG-20190919-WA0002.jpg

IMG-20190919-WA0003.jpg

IMG-20190919-WA0001.jpg

Edited by Italo40

Ok yes that's classic Ames Formation.

I have to ask, what were you doing in Pittsburgh? It's not exactly a major tourist destination!

23 minutes ago, jdp said:

Ok yes that's classic Ames Formation.

I have to ask, what were you doing in Pittsburgh? It's not exactly a major tourist destination!

I do enjoy non major touristic destinations actually. I heard wonders of the Carnegie Museums and I proved they were right! Besides, I spent a few days in other locations in Pennsilvanya (Ohiopyle area, where I saw other fossils) and in Ohio and Kentucky, most of them fossils-related. I'll share the pictures of them in future posts!

Glad to hear you had a nice time! Pittsburgh's my hometown (and has some great paleontology) but I never think of it as a major tourist destination. Glad you enjoyed yourself!

On 9/18/2019 at 8:06 PM, Italo40 said:

I do enjoy non major touristic destinations actually. I heard wonders of the Carnegie Museums and I proved they were right! Besides, I spent a few days in other locations in Pennsilvanya (Ohiopyle area, where I saw other fossils) and in Ohio and Kentucky, most of them fossils-related. I'll share the pictures of them in future posts!

I'll bet that Kentucky may be your favorite. Pennsylvania is nice, but Kentucky is something else.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

15 minutes ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

I'll bet that Kentucky may be your favorite. Pennsylvania is nice, but Kentucky is something else.

I really can't pick a favorite! In Kentucky I spent a very short time (visited the Big Bone Lick State Park). A few days more in Pennsilvanya, enjoying both cities and nature. 100% I'd come back in both of them anyway!!! 

Edited by Italo40

Just now, Italo40 said:

I really can't pick a favourite! In Kentucky I spent a very short time (visited the Big Bone Lick State Park). A few days more in Pennsilvanya, enjoying both cities and nature. 100% I'd come back in both of them anyway!!! 

You'll have to come back now to visit again. Having to make up your mind is the best excuse to come back. I have been in Italy twice and I can't decide if my favorite is the area around Naples or up in the hills around Cassino.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

1 hour ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

You'll have to come back now to visit again. Having to make up your mind is the best excuse to come back. I have been in Italy twice and I can't decide if my favorite is the area around Naples or up in the hills around Cassino.

Yeah, I definetely want to come back!

Naples and the nearby areas are great, you keep discovering new places!! I've never been in Cassino, but I'm sure it's another must-see place :)