:yay-smiley-1:Hello everyone, fellow enthusiasts and professionals.

I'm new to the practice of searching and uncovering fossils. My name is Keaton and I come from California. Yet, I live on the road working all over North America. I've had only one exciting experience of finding a fossil. Two small trace fossils of the same organism, in beautiful Alberta. So, that gave me a taste of fossil hunting. I made this account in part of that first finding, to Identifying them. That might be for another time. They are simple in structure and I'd rather find out what they are on my own.

To get to the point of this post I'd like to ask experienced paleontologists, especially with the great understanding of geology you would have, a question on self educating myself? what would you suggest I do to further increase my own knowledge of the basics of geology, the understanding of landforms and strata, as well as the characteristics of particular rocks? I want to know more about the many landscapes I visit. To be able to distinguish the earth's many features, from the largest structures like mountains, to the smallest sediment. What books have you read that could enlighten me? Is there lectures I could listen to online that really lay it out? How about certain geologists you look up to?

I need to learn more to answer the questions people come to me with. If I could train my eyes to perceive the world around me like a professional geologist, than my intention to persure paleontology as my career are, well rock solid... Your sincere help will be greatly appreciated! 

I forgot to mention I'm going to be in Denver and as south as Colorado Springs for a couple days. Another point to this post was to ask about decent places to search for fossils in this area as a one day thing? Yet, I think I'm pushing it with questions, but I put the tags in for the topic and I have no shame in asking questions.

Thank you:tff:

Keaton why dont you take a gander at the "Fossil Locations" topic on this forum and scroll down to Colorado. You may get some ideas as to where you can find something since you are into self exploration for information.

It will also assist you in your quest for whatever state you may be visiting on your journeys.

What part of Cali are you from?

• I found this Informative 1

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

39 minutes ago, caldigger said:

Keaton why dont you take a gander at the "Fossil Locations" topic on this forum and scroll down to Colorado. You may get some ideas as to where you can find something since you are into self exploration for information.

It will also assist you in your quest for whatever state you may be visiting on your journeys.

What part of Cali are you from?

That's a cool feature on TFF. Thanks for the tip caldigger!

With that name I'm sure you're a resident there. I'm from Southern California. LA County and Ventura County.

5 minutes ago, Keatonodon said:

With that name I'm sure you're a resident there. I'm from Southern California. LA County and Ventura County.

Born and raised in Cucamonga long before that stupid "Rancho" thing was added, back in the days of endless orange groves and open fields.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

45 minutes ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

Welcome from Illinois.

I've lived in Illinois for two years. Refreshingly different from the west, and actually had seasons haha. Thank you Mark Kmiecik!

Exactly... spot on. But don't forget the elements. The fire season and the not so rainy one.

I've heard from relatives who lived in "The Valley" when they could walk for miles and not see a person, or drive through farms and fields to the coast. Sounds nice.

2 hours ago, Keatonodon said:

what would you suggest I do to further increase my own knowledge of the basics of geology, the understanding of landforms and strata, as well as the characteristics of particular rocks? I want to know more about the many landscapes I visit. To be able to distinguish the earth's many features, from the largest structures like mountains, to the smallest sediment.

First, welcome to TFF from Austin.

I am not professionally trained in the areas of geology nor paleontology, but that doesn't stop me from wanting to offer an opinion from my own experience.  :shakehead:

The first course one takes in pursuing a degree in geology (at least at UT, Austin) is Physical Geology.  I took that class as an elective toward my degree in Chemistry, mainly because of my avocational interest in rocks, minerals, and fossils.  It provides exactly what you outline is your interest in learning in your quote above. 

After that, the next basic course would be Historical Geology, which talks about the evolution of the planet itself and of its various life-forms.  From there you would get into more detailed studies of rocks (petrology, mineralogy, etc.), stratigraphy, and paleontology, depending on your interests in more in-depth, detailed knowledge in that area.  The first two courses stood me well as a backdrop to my hobby interests, and I think they would do the same as a good introduction for you as you decide how you want to pursue your career in the field.

In the meantime, if you are not familiar with them, there are a series of "Roadside Geology" books, e.g., Roadside Geology of (State's name) , that give a good layman's perspective on what geological features you are seeing as you drive down the state's highways.  As you travel with your work, you might want to pick up a copy for whatever state you will be in and read up on that state's geology, maybe even put some miles on the rental car driving some of the more interesting routes.

That's all I've got for now, except to again welcome you and hope you enjoy the site.:)

Welcome from Germany. I would warmly recommend reading "Conversation with the Earth" from Hans Cloos (translated by E.B. Garside), a revered German structural geologist. He, like you, was all over the place and wrote this book in autobiographical form describing his experiences and observations about the forms of landscapes and their interpretation. The book has lots of illustrations which help your understanding and it is so well written that, although it was first published over 70 years ago, it is still one of the most popular reads on the subject over here.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Physical Geology and Historical Geology courses, rad I'll get invested in that! Either online or eventually at a campus. The Roadside Geology for each state sounds very interesting!

As well as your suggestion Ludwigia aus Deutschland. Yeah, "Conversation with the Earth" just reading the title and I'm hooked! Danke:tiphat:

Thank you very much, grandpa.

Hello and welcome from Kentucky! :) 

You may already know this, but each state has a US Geological Survey Map that is usually accessible online. Some of them (Kentucky for example) have interactive ones as well. You can click the area you are in on the map and it will give you all kinds of information. The one for Kentucky will give info on the age of the rock, the name of the formation, and even what fossils, if any, can be found there. Even if they are not interactive these type of maps provide a good bit of information about the geology of the area.

These should be helpful since you travel all over for work. Your geology will change a lot depending on where you are. A change in geology age and type will also change what fossils you should look for. Most other countries have something similar as well. ;) 

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)