Shark tooth ID help!

LadySatana

Hello everyone, it’s me again - I posted on here not long ago about 5 (great white) teeth I needed identifying, and I was extraordinarily impressed with the results, thank you again for that!

This time around, I have 4 more teeth I need help with, as I’m super curious about what they belonged to, I have two regular ish looking teeth and one very flat one(??), All three are quite small.

In addition to those 3 I also have one which is still in the rock, but very visible, and I haven’t really been able to compare it to anything I have already - its about the size of an average great white tooth, if that helps.

I apologise about the shadows, the sun is really out today!

BB44A846-FCA0-4D5E-A27D-FA6358CCB0DC.jpeg

C3200650-52B8-44BC-A748-EF82D99697DF.jpeg

8CE92939-75F4-45FE-A5B2-B8FE8F2E1302.jpeg

8BD0CA8C-B737-4261-AE80-8020694E2E5B.jpeg

Top 2 photos:  Otodus obliquus from the Eocene of Morocco

Bottom 2 photos, top to bottom:

1. I think it's a juvenile Otodus

2. Ray tooth

3.Galeocerdo cuvier, tiger shark

• I found this Informative 1

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana

Thank you for the input! I did guess that they might be Otodus teeth myself, but I really wasn’t sure and I’m certainly not an expert.

I may look into trying to remove it from the rock safely, somehow.

Removing the matrix to free that tooth takes some tools and experience. If the matrix is hard then you will find this to be a difficult task. I would not attempt to remove to tooth completely from the matrix anyway as keeping them in the matrix are usually a nice way to display fossilized teeth. You already have one freed from the matrix so that you can appreciate it from all sides/angles. If you are looking for a little project, you might try to dig up some tools to try to remove the piece of matrix that overlies the root--I wouldn't go any further than this. You wouldn't want to be investing in expensive compressed air scribes for this but you might look up 'pin vise' both on this forum and in a general internet search as a possible tool to do a little bit of prep work. If you do decide to tackle revealing the rest of the root, take photos of your process and post them here with a report so that others may learn from your efforts.

A belated welcome to the forum!

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 2

Thank you very much for the detailed reply, Ken.

I may not tamper with it as I have 0 experience with removing teeth from the rock, however, the rock that it is embedded in is incredibly thick in the back with a few smaller teeth sunken into it - maybe I can find someone more experienced near me that can help me trim it down a little bit in the future :)

Many thanks!