Possible fossil or tooth ID or manmade

KEP

Hi, I found this on my drive which has been laid with pebbles/shingle. My drive is in Surrey, UK but I obviously have no idea where the pebbles were extracted from.

I am a bit flummoxed as to what this is and not convinced it’s a fossil, however the grey section is definitely stone so I thought I’d try my luck here. 

The grid visible in the first photo is made up of 5mm squares. 

If anyone has any bright ideas as to what it is/ what it’s from,  I’d be interested to hear. 

Thank you for your time!

2952F13F-CA06-4E65-9DB1-9A2E3D5B1921.thumb.jpeg.955478a33154359d4a0762fdbeb0f9eb.jpeg

2D0AF361-13F5-4279-8882-2720B60F0C53.jpeg

On 9/17/2019 at 1:30 PM, old bones said:

I don't have an answer for you, but I lightened your photos a bit to help in ID. :)

Ya...i'm afraid that didn't help me get any closer to an ID.  :zzzzscratchchin:

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

My friend has suggested that it might be a bottle stopper, although it’s quite an odd choice of materials for that. I will try an archeology forum!

Thank you for your thoughts. I will get my box of fossils down from the loft sometime and try again with an actual fossil.

It is as hard - I can’t dent or scratch it with my fingernails. I’m beginning to wonder if it isn’t just a vein of a different type of rock that has weathered weirdly in the water. 

• I found this Informative 1

5 hours ago, KEP said:

pebbles were extracted from.

Could this be from rock that has been mechanically crushed ?

It can be a violent process. I've seen a piece of reinforcement bar driven into mud/siltstone like a nail into a pine board. 

Fingernails are actually quite soft on the Moh's hardness scale ( ~ 2.5 ) so it doesn't take much to be harder than a fingernail.

A definate puzzler this one is.

I accept my fingernails aren’t very hard, yes! 

My drive is a mixed bag of all sorts, so I do think that brute force of mechanical crushing is an option- other than that I have no other explanation. However, I’m going to take a trip to the Pitt River’s museum: if it is manmade they would be the museum to have something similar. Thank you for your input and time.