I bought this Amber, but not sure if it is real

Evancarstedt

Hm. This looks like a resin-based creation using a modern crab. It is a common practice in preserving insects, arachnids, reptiles, various sea creatures, and even small mammals as well for display, but I have my doubts this is an amber fossil.

• I found this Informative 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

One way to tell for certain is to heat a sewing needle and poke the back end. If the material melts, you'll know it isn't amber. 

Still, a nice display piece. I have one of a scorpion I purchased cheaply, but the seller was up front that it was a modern specimen cast in resin.

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

1 hour ago, Evancarstedt said:

Mine just had a sticker that said Amber resin

Amber( colored) resin!

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

If you are thinking of purchasing more items, why dont you post a quick pic on here and get some feedback on authenticity before plucking down your hard earned cash. 

A "second opinion" if you will. ;)

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

17 hours ago, caldigger said:

Amber( colored) resin!

THIIS!

I have run into this many times with sellers, not just with fossils but many other items especially with online sellers. I do a lot of chainmail armor/jewelry/ren fest work and one of our biggest issues is sellers stating an item is "iron/silver/gold" etc and selling it for a high price when they just mean that it is colored iron/silver/gold...

Buyer Beware!

Also - a real amber chunk that size with such a perfect crab in it would likely go for thousands of dollars if it were the real deal, most likely...

Any price less than thousands would be a red flag for me...

The shape & look of the "amber" exterior looks off as well. Almost like it was poured into a candle mold with wax still clinging to the inside.

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.