Cricket

I found this shell on the rock ledge of Little Tribune Bay on Hornby Island on Sept 12,2019. I’m a total amateur fossil hunter but after some research, I wonder if it’s a glycymerdid. Of course since I know absolutely nothing about fossils except what I can find on the web that might match my find, i’m turning to the Forum for your expertise.  I hope someone can tell me if this is even a fossil and if so, what it is. Thanks, Cricket. 

89DA5A7D-09DA-438A-8062-D5AB0BF4174E.jpeg

3599E034-4FB6-4A33-9480-FA2F4ECD9F3C.jpeg

B535132E-24ED-4F78-8512-692BDB0B96C7.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

Nice shell, thanks for sharing, @Cricket!

Its not a glycymerid, a glycymerid looks more like this (notice the teeth area at the top and the crenulated margin, specimen is 9 mm wide, Miocene, Styria, Austria):

Glycymeris_Fuggaberg6_3301_Breite9mm.thumb.jpg.7244b0325c7e6192dadc4d540de3dc9c.jpg

Your shell seems to be composed of calcite (somewhat glassy and glossy appearance). This will put it in the category of oysters, pectens, plicatulids etc. From the overall appearance, it could be a plicatulid bivalve, but I am surely not sure ;).

Franz Bernhard

Thanks much for your feedback.  I’m going to take this one to the Burke Museum in Seattle and see if they can help identify it.  

14 hours ago, Cricket said:

Thanks much for your feedback.  I’m going to take this one to the Burke Museum in Seattle and see if they can help identify it.  

Whatever the news, please come back to let us know how it went :) I love hearing feedback when people take things to the museum to check. Even if the item turns out to be modern reading about the experience just seems very cool to me.

It is the top part of a recent bivalve, Pododesmus. A jingle shell in common name. The bottom shell has a hole in it for a muscle to attach to rocks.

• I found this Informative 2

Cephalopods rule!!

Once again @fossisle you solved the mystery for me.  And since I fell in love with the beautifully named Jingle Pot Road on Vancouver Island, it’s only fitting to have a Jingle shell. 

Cricket