Ludwigia

Over the years I've posted quite a few reports on my finds from the ditch in the Kimmeridgian in the upper Danube valley. Although it's over 40 miles away, I decided it was time to take a tour down there on my (battery powered) bike. It was a great trip, although I'm of course pretty tuckered out today. The site, or at least the exposures I was working, is pretty well cleaned out by now, but there is still a chance of finding another exposure in the next lower zone by moving on down the ditch and picking away. I have found a bit on the odd visit over the last year or so, but not all that much, since the preservation is mostly too soft and flatly pressed. This time I managed to find a spot where the matrix is more concretionary and harder, which heighten the chances of finding some better preserved fossils. I only spent about an hour and a half there, but this time some nice things came out, so I didn't mind the bit of extra weight on the return trip. I guess I'll be going back there again soon, but next time with the car :P

Taramelliceras sp.

A1492a.thumb.jpg.85c4d275af7853b4235dbd5fe7d59fd3.jpg

Bathrotomaria sp. gastropod with 3 Streblites tenuilobatus ammos. Could have repaired  it, but I decided to leave it as is.

4a.jpg.652a4ec264c276debfe33500e993627b.jpg

Streblites tenuilobatus

5a.jpg.bbbf9f81e167dedcd635efd1e16fe702.jpg

Rasenia sp.

6a.jpg.865e031d53d0d74596fd91b368be1bfa.jpg

PS. Here's the bike.

1.jpg.ae53bfc46334ce2fe2afdd10830930f8.jpg

• I found this Informative 21

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Great report, finds, and prep, as usual. 

That bike looks pretty cool. 

Thanks for posting, Roger. :) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

1 hour ago, facehugger said:

Those ammonites are beautiful!!!

The bike is okay...:P

1 hour ago, Fossildude19 said:

Great report, finds, and prep, as usual. 

That bike looks pretty cool. 

Thanks for posting, Roger. :) 

Thanks guys. Glad you like the bike. I certainly do :)

• I found this Informative 1

I really like that green color of those ammos. They are very appealing. Especially the first one.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

I knew I saw you in this video! :heartylaugh:

Just kidding! Nice report and finds. I really like the piece with the gastropod and three ammonites! 

• I found this Informative 3

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

That's a great looking bike, Roger and the fossils look cool too. Some of them look familiar. Congratulations on a long and productive trip.

9 hours ago, RuMert said:

Nice bike! Strangely I also use bike to get to one of the places where I collect fossils. It's not really necessary but adds some adventure flavour.I'll post pics when I get the text done

It sure does add some extra fun to the outing, doesn't it?

7 hours ago, Darktooth said:

I really like that green color of those ammos. They are very appealing. Especially the first one.

There's a lot of glauconite in the sediment, hence the green. The first one is my fave as well.

6 hours ago, FossilNerd said:

I knew I saw you in this video! :heartylaugh:

Just kidding! Nice report and finds. I really like the piece with the gastropod and three ammonites! 

That video was a great starter for my day. Those riders must have an incredible sense of balance! Thanks for posting.

6 hours ago, jcbshark said:

Nice finds and great prep as always Roger :wub:

:)

3 hours ago, Jeffrey P said:

That's a great looking bike, Roger and the fossils look cool too. Some of them look familiar. Congratulations on a long and productive trip.

I'm sure you'll recognize them, since you spent half the day there with me. Please say hi to Aza and Ron for me if you get the chance.

3 hours ago, ynot said:

:thumbsu: I knew it wouldn't be long.

Nice finds.

Correct! :P:)

8 hours ago, FossilNerd said:

knew I saw you in this video! 

Wow great video the guy with the bricks is insane. :dinothumb:

13 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

Although it's over 40 miles away,

Really nice finds and I love your bike too. You inspired me to dust off and repair my bike . It is just a fold up city bike so I would be in a world pain after a 40mile ride. 

All the best Bobby 

3 hours ago, Bobby Rico said:

Really nice finds and I love your bike too. You inspired me to dust off and repair my bike . It is just a fold up city bike so I would be in a world pain after a 40mile ride. 

All the best Bobby 

Well, have fun anyway. If it starts to get serious, then I would really recommend a battery-driven one. Actually it was an 85 kilometer ride, since I had to get back too :P

1 hour ago, Monica said:

Nice stuff, Roger, especially the rock with multiple specimens on it :)

Thanks Monica. Here are a couple more and then that's the last of them from this trip.

Ataxioceras (Parataxioceras) perayense

A1493a.thumb.jpg.ce7742ae5377eed0b95c3d965783395f.jpg

Glochiceras (Lingulaticeras) lingulatum

1.jpg.166f19e7c342e809eec4c2f5e8f94d7d.jpg

5 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

That video was a great starter for my day.

Glad I could help start the day off right. :) 

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

Nice ammos as always!

One question: What is the difference between a regular pedal bike and a battery bike? Can you use some kind of battery-powered motor when you tire?

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

41 minutes ago, MeargleSchmeargl said:

Nice ammos as always!

One question: What is the difference between a regular pedal bike and a battery bike? Can you use some kind of battery-powered motor when you tire?

Yup. Just google electric bike, e-bike or pedelec.

1 minute ago, Ludwigia said:

Yup. Just google electric bike, e-bike or pedelec.

Nice! I guess it's a good way to get up those particularly steep hills that are hard to start up.

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

1 hour ago, MeargleSchmeargl said:

Nice! I guess it's a good way to get up those particularly steep hills that are hard to start up.

You said it. Otherwise I try to save "fuel" in order to get more mileage. My model is built in Washington State, by the way.

Roger nice finds and I will off you a brand new $5.00 US bill with Abraham Lincoln on it for the bike, that is if you will pay for the shipping of the bike. Don’t wait to long to decide, this new bill is burning a hole in my pocket- lol. 

I use to collect Mazon Creek concretions on a bike and I would caring out a pack full on my back and two other pack fulls- one on each handle- it made for an interesting ride back to the car.

9 hours ago, Nimravis said:

Roger nice finds and I will off you a brand new $5.00 US bill with Abraham Lincoln on it for the bike, that is if you will pay for the shipping of the bike. Don’t wait to long to decide, this new bill is burning a hole in my pocket- lol. 

I use to collect Mazon Creek concretions on a bike and I would caring out a pack full on my back and two other pack fulls- one on each handle- it made for an interesting ride back to the car.

Thanks for your generous offer. I always did admire Abe. The propaganda about him is very positive. Thing is, I prefer bills with European scenery on them, preferably with cyphers in the thousands :P

I've invested in 2 saddlebags, which makes things a bit easier. Sounds like you're related to the guy with the bricks up there.