Maybe my last hunting trip?

RJB

I got back from my last fossil hunting trip just 3 days ago.   My middle son did all the work but im the one who came home a bit beat up!   I was rather tired on this trip but it was still a lot of fun.  I stopped by some freinds of mine and bought some more of those agatized Aturia and then stayed with some more friends of mine and did some trading with them.  With the few crab concretions we found and the ones I traded for I came home with a few more to prep this winter.  Only thing I didnt like about this trip was the rain!  and the traffic on I-5 passing Tacoma!!! 

RB

This is at the end of driving aaaaaaaaal day long and having a drink.  The rains just started and didnt stop till noon the following day!

DSCN0242.JPG.ca99f3a173f24627bd731fd4a45678f5.JPG

Here is a crate of crab balls from 2 different sites.   A very lovely sight for a crab guy.

DSCN0244.JPG.75bbc6f3efe9a8daaea8be127c522c68.JPG

Here are some crab balls I traded for.  The one in plastic, (3 pieces), is the one I'm most excited about.  Should be a very large and very nice crab!!!

DSCN0245.JPG.79035d95ca0849ecd6084479aa4b67ba.JPG

With these 5 Aturia I now have 10.   These are one of my most favorite fossil!

DSCN0246.JPG.dada94fddc01a76fee73741806e1ca4a.JPG

My youngest son was in eastern Montana while I was in Washington.  This is not the best fossil but still purty cool. 

DSCN0247.JPG.21c83249be7bbee9ec0370ed0b642d1c.JPG

This looks to have been preditated apon but still makes for a realy cool ammo on concretion!

DSCN0248.JPG.b7e906f354efcde571bfc126c9c5b3c8.JPG

• I found this Informative 14

Not a hunting trip. A fossil adventure sounds better ;) I love those translucent nautiloids (Aturia). If you every want to trade one, please let me know. 

• I found this Informative 2

Many times I've wondered how much there is to know.  
led zeppelin

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png IPFOTM.png IPFOTM2.png IPFOTM3.png IPFOTM4.png IPFOTM5.png

47 minutes ago, RJB said:

With these 5 Aturia I now have 10.   These are one of my most favorite fossil!

Ditto..ditto...ditto.. I can almost meditate  :zen: the word Aturia appearing on one of your posts... For an old IMG_2949cr.jpg.eced6f2316109d168193dec148e33680.thumb.jpg.cdc0287434faef145a307c420cb9a62a.jpggeezer, looking good Ron .  :thumbsu:. Many guys our age are in their rocking chairs, watching the world pass by... Not you !!!

• I found this Informative 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

4 hours ago, mikeymig said:

Not a hunting trip. A fossil adventure sounds better ;) I love those translucent nautiloids (Aturia). If you every want to trade one, please let me know. 

The only way I would ever trade one of these is if you had some super great unprepped crab concretions.  Sorry man.

4 hours ago, Shellseeker said:

Many guys our age are in their rocking chairs, watching the world pass by... Not you !!!

Thanks Jack.  What you need is one of these agatized ones to go with that calcited one you have.

1 hour ago, sharkdoctor said:

Don't stop now! You are setting a great example. Still out doing the things you love despite the challenges

Sorry Sharkdoctor.   Ive already cancled my South Dakota trip.  I will still be prepping though.

RB

Got myself a little pre-winter prep done today. 

Got a really interesting double crab conc already glue up and just washed the big one.

DSCN0249.JPG.c933056d2c0fa0e540d9e9f756d3e457.JPG

This big one was found in 2 pieces and is now glued up.  Super nice preservation this one!

DSCN0250.JPG.3a154019c20fa08c9ea4d6c67373a6c2.JPG

Some little ones but should be some nice easy and fast preps!   These will be very interesting cause I know exactly where they came from.  I traded for these ones.

DSCN0251.JPG.bf5d0c06244a0796d20e36b4b9445270.JPG

RB

• I found this Informative 6

Love the Aturia:wub: :wub: :wub:

What the heck, I love all your fossils!

I agree with the suggestion that you might treat yourself to a hotel/motel if you can find one that isn't too far away.  A good sleep in a warm bed is worth the price of a little less time on the outcrop, especially if you have more energy to crack rocks as a result.

Don

7 hours ago, RJB said:

Thanks Jack.  What you need is one of these agatized ones to go with that calcited one you have.

I would... I would BUT I have not mastered the knack of finding websites or dealers who offer Agatized Aturias.. the ones I do find are usually offered above 4 figures and Washington state is too far a trek on the possibility.. I do enjoy seeing the Aturia treasures you and other preparers create... waiting to see the finished ones from your 10.  Keep up the great work!!

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Looks like quite the haul! Can’t wait to see them prepped out! 

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

11 hours ago, Shellseeker said:

I would... I would BUT I have not mastered the knack of finding websites or dealers who offer Agatized Aturias.. the ones I do find are usually offered above 4 figures

Give some time and I may be able to help you out in aquiring one of these.

10 hours ago, jpc said:

Um, RB, when you say last... are you retiring form the hunt?  This makes me sad. 

Hey JP, if i lived much closer to you I guarantee that we would have been great hunting buddies.  but yeah, I think im retiring from the hunt. 

RB

Sorry to hear that You will not be hunting any more, but take heart as there are other ways to acquire fossils (as You already know).

at least this hunt was a success, along with some nice trades.

Like the others- looking forward to seeing the pieces after You do that magic that you do!:thumbsu:

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

On 9/21/2019 at 9:12 AM, RJB said:

Give some time and I may be able to help you out in aquiring one of these.

We've got all the time in the world, Ron. :fingerscrossed:

With the help of a good friend, I managed to get out hunting on dry ground yesterday. Marine verts, the tip of a Baleen whale mandible, a lot of small shark teeth, some small fish/shark verts. Nothing fantastic but I value the experience and I did manage to get away with this small treasure, all of 1 inch long..

SmallDolphinTooth2b.JPG.0de7e6ba467a4fbae81773dd1ef0a402.JPG

It was a long day and I had a lot of screaming muscles last night. I also feel my numbers of days out hunting slipping away. This is a younger man's game. The spirit is willing........

I will drink one to a successful transition from hunting to crafting. Let your son do the hard work of finding.  Your talents are reserved for better things...:thumbsu:

• I found this Informative 2

19 hours ago, Shellseeker said:

Let your son do the hard work of finding.  Your talents are reserved for better things..

Thanks man.  My son is leaving for South Dakota in 3 days.  Wish I could go but the good thing is,, ,he's bringing me a truckload of Fox Hills material.  Woooooop!  Woooooooop!

RB

My son gets back today.  From some of he pictures he sent me I can tell he had a FANTASTIC trip!!!   He said it was the best ammo trip he's ever been on.   I will try and get you folks some pics too. 

RB

22 hours ago, OwlEyes said:

What a great trip and fabulous founds!  I am sad that you are retiring from fossil hunt

Please dont be sad, ive done more than most when it comes to fossil hunting.   You might say ive been arond the block a few hundred times.  :)

RB

8 hours ago, RJB said:

Please dont be sad, ive done more than most when it comes to fossil hunting.   You might say ive been arond the block a few hundred times.  :)

RB

That’s an excellent way to look at it