Archie

Those shark teeth, especially the Saivodus are simply amazing. The crinoids and jellyfish are impressive too. Congratulations on some excellent finds and thanks for sharing them.

• 4 weeks later...

Had a hunt at a good spot for blocks of the Blackhall limestone with good cleavage at the weekend and made a find I'm really pleased with, a plate with the most complete crinoid I've ever found having the calyx and partial arms, and alongside it the best specimen of the undescribed jellyfish from this formation I've found so far. A friend has ID'd the crinoid as Ureocrinus bockshii (Geinitz). The jellyfish is 6 cm across.

75492454_545774796251603_8648004834764521472_n.jpg

• I found this Informative 9

Whoa!  :blink:

That is awesome, Sam.  :wub:

Individually the fossils are impressive - even more so when associated on the same plate!

Great find, mate! You must be chuffed with this.  :) 

Cheers!

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Thanks Tim! :D 

I really am chuffed with this one!

A good Jellyfish and a crinoid thats articulated at all have been high up the bucket list for years so cant believe I've found both on the one rock!

• I found this Informative 1

Great finds and all on one block the Jellyfish is brilliant.

John

Be happy while you're living for you're a long time dead.

Awesome! What a great association, and the preservation on that jellyfish is so clear, how astounding. 

@t-tree @Ludwigia @connorp @nala @Monica @deutscheben Thanks everyone! :) 

This jellyfish is by far the clearest example I've found yet many are pretty hard to see and almost impossible to get a good photo of, I must have missed a good few over the years while my eyes were set to tooth mode! Prepped the crinoid earlier today as much as I can I think, there was more of the arms but they are pretty disarticulated. I'll post some pics tomorrow. 

• I found this Informative 1

Wow... I'd be setting my eyes to jellyfish mode for sure if I ever got a chance to collect in your location. You should enter that one in the FOTM, I feel I can say with confidence that I'd vote for it!

• I found this Informative 2

That's a keeper. Nice find.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

On 10/24/2019 at 6:43 PM, t-tree said:

Looks Good you must be pleased with it.

John

Thanks John! Really pleased with it think its one of my favorite finds of all time!

On 10/24/2019 at 9:07 PM, Jeffrey P said:

Excellent beautiful crinoid/jellyfish piece. Congratulations. Thanks for posting it.

Thank you! :) 

On 10/24/2019 at 9:10 PM, Mark Kmiecik said:

That's a keeper. Nice find.

Thanks! :) 

On 10/25/2019 at 12:58 AM, Wrangellian said:

It looked great already but now it's even better.  :thumbsu:

Thanks! I was really happy when a little bit more of the arms and calyx started to show during prep even though they're a bit scattered! :D 

• 2 months later...

Happy New Year everybody! The weathers been pretty grim in this part of Scotland for the last few weeks but on New Years Eve it was unseasonably warm and sunny so decided to get out and try and make some last finds for 2019! I never got round to posting any of the stuff I'd found and planned to post on this thread in other Carboniferous formations so I'll post these finds, also from the Blackhall Limestone, here and the rest of 2019's finds over the next few days. The first find of the day was this near complete jellyfish that's small but quite clear unlike most I've found.

IMGP7274.thumb.JPG.6a228b322c663bc3ad47f1c323c810f9.JPG

I then stumbled across this sponge body which is the best example I've found so far, I think its fairly complete and maybe a Hyalostellia sp., maybe @TqBcould confirm this?

IMGP7273.thumb.JPG.2da941dae02324bad33821bc774c8a65.JPG

I didn't find much more for a few hours and was about to leave when I turned over a block that had a really well preserved complete jellyfish which has weathered to a much lighter color than the surrounding rock showing the radial canals and concentric banding. My pack was getting pretty heavy and its a good trek out to this site so I called it a day and headed home. When I went to cut the blocks down to size I noticed just in time there were a couple of Ctenoptychius lobatus teeth, one partial crown and one mostly buried near the edge of the block, just prepped it out and its turned out to be complete :D  

IMGP7275.thumb.JPG.2a33f33508da33262b21fd0e94bf6c49.JPGIMGP7270.thumb.JPG.349e762414890b611c42064b25efeb74.JPGIMGP7269.thumb.JPG.aedb94f69b67593bfe4722d0864fe53a.JPG

• I found this Informative 9