are these fossils or "just rocks"

purple-rose

hi,

me and my 10yr old son have recently got into rocks, fossils and beachcombing - him moreso but he cant go on own, so i go with him (it gets me out of the house).

The following photos are bits he found at our local rocky beach (parton bay, west cumbria uk). We have no idea if they are fossils or "just rocks" (this is what his older brothers have said they all are!) i am pretty sure that the "white/grey/black" piece is fossilised wood/charcoal (L) and the "clam shell" (P) is not shell material anymore but solid rock.

d.jpg

e.jpg

f.jpg

c.jpg

b.jpg

a.jpg

Edited by purple-rose
photo sizes changed

E may have some plant impressions, but I'm not at all sure. D & B look like slag. A & P appear to be bivalves. The others are either just rocks as your eldest son says, or else the photos are too blurry to make any proper judgement.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Hi Amy! Glad to see you posted some of you and your son’s finds! I think you and your older son are both correct to some extent. You appear to have both fossils and “just rocks” in your collection. “Just rocks” can be cool too so don’t let that discourage you!

L does look like some sort of plant material to me, but a clearer photo is needed to tell for sure (it’s a little out of focus :().  P looks to be a brachiopod. C looks interesting, but I can’t tell if the lines in the rock are part of a fossil or geological in nature. A few more pics of different views may help. O looks to be another brachiopod and E has something going on, but I’m not sure what. 

Also, thanks for putting an identifier (in this case a letter) with your pics! It makes it a lot easier to point out specific specimens and give an opinion. Most new people tend to post one picture with everything in it and no way to identify a specific piece. Your ruler and solid white background are great as well! Now if you can get the camera to focus a little more will be doing great! ;):) 

• I found this Informative 1

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

hi,

thanks for replies. i have taken some more pics of those that have been commented about at different angles (and 1 i didnt upload), hopefully they are clearer and can help.

20190924_111728.jpg

20190924_111617.jpg

20190924_111416.jpg

20190924_110935.jpg

20190924_111309.jpg

20190924_110811.jpg