Fossils and biking in Moscow

RuMert

Hi all,

In continuation of Ludwigia's topic I'll show you another example of "fossil biking" along with some info on Moscow fossils. There's a dozen of spots within the city limits where you can at least try to find some fossils, one of them being Fili Park . It's an Upper Jurassic formation, similar to the one described here as in those times Moscow region lied on the bottom of the same shallow sea as the Volga basin. The difference is that in Moscow Upper Tithonian (Volgian) is better represented. The quality of the finds is unfortunately much worse.

Fili Park is situated on the right bank of river Moscow (Moskva) not far from the city center. Its a narrow band of forest with a steep slope towards the river. The pace is well-known among Moscow paleontologists to the extent that somebody said "everyone starts with Fili". I did not start with Fili and actually learned about its existence (fossil-wise) not long ago. I was surprised that you could easily find Jurassic material near the center of the megapolis (something along the lines of fossil hunting in NYC Central Park) and the fact that ammonite nacre was well preserved. I decided to give the place a go. And use a bike as the fossils spots are a long walk from the entrance.

Here Fili district is outlined in red.

123.jpg

1234.jpg

• I found this Informative 9

There are a dozen creeks cutting through the Jurassic clay but only a few are rich in fossils.They are not immediately visible from the promenade, you have to search for the spot where they flow into the river, like this one.

IMG_20190815_195542.jpg

IMG_20190815_195756.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Complete shells are incredibly fragile and cannot be found in the creeks. You have to dig for them, having removed the quarternary layer. Dig literally in water and mud. Good news is that you can find someone else's pit like this one, even with a shovel and a self-made screen.

IMG_20190909_142500.jpg

IMG_20190909_142545.jpg

• I found this Informative 6

Of course I have my own equipement: a pair of construction gloves, a tube of glue, a stretch film, a packed compact raincoat, a boxed folding shovel and waterproof overshoes from an army hazmat suit - all in a backpack, also foldable.

IMG_20190919_161938.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

Great report! Those specimens look really nice. Please post pics when they are all cleaned up.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Excellent report!  

Thank you for taking us along! :) 

Wonderful ammonites! :wub: 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Such a great and comprehensive fossil hunting report! Thank you very much for sharing your adventure in such great detail with us!

And soooo lovely fossils!! 

Franz Bernhard

Great report! My main interest is belemnites and it's good to see Russian Tithonian specimens - we don't get Tithonian ones in the UK! Beautiful ammonites too, of course. :)

• I found this Informative 2

Tarquin

Excellent report and nice finds! Thanks for posting! I love seeing fossils from other parts of the world, and what people do to find them. Beautiful ammonites! :wub:

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)