Deep Springs Road 9-22-19

Darktooth

Today I took my youngest son, Devin, to DSR for a 2hr hunt. The rest of the family was engaged in other things and we neede to get outdoors. We arrived around 3pm just as the sun was making it's way over the hillside. This helped to cool down an otherwise hot day. Devin decided that he did not want to hunt fossils so I brought his BB gun and let him shoot while I searched for Devonian Goodness. I was hoping for a nice trilo, but alas, they seemed to evade me today. I did find pygidiums but that was it. On the other hand Brachs and Bivalves were plentiful. Gastropods made a small appearance. I found a nice one encrusted with bryzoans with part of the coating missing to reveal the gastro inside. I thought it looked pretty cool. I also found a nice Bryzoan that unfortunately got left behind.:unsure: We last at 5, which is what I promised Devin. I am sure he was shocked that I didnt say" Just 5 more minutes ".:rolleyes:

20190922_184033.jpg

• I found this Informative 9

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Nice finds for a 2 hour hunt, Dave! Glad you got out there during a nice day. 

That first gastropod is very cool. 

I love finding those. 

Thanks for the report!

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

Thanks Tim. It was a totally unplanned trip. I didn't think that I would be getting back there anytime soon. But then the Moon and the Stars aligned just right.:star:

• I found this Informative 1

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

11 minutes ago, Darktooth said:

But then the Moon and the Stars aligned just right.:star:

Well that would account for the huge tidal surges! :D

Looks like you made out very well for such a short trip. :default_clap2:

3 minutes ago, caldigger said:

Well that would account for the huge tidal surges! :D

Looks like you made out very well for such a short trip. :default_clap2:

I am hoping to do even better in Maryland next weekend.  Originally  I wasnt allowed to hunt there because I went to Jersey last weekend. But my son wants to hunt in Maryland , so I get to hunt there too!:D

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

4 minutes ago, Darktooth said:

Originally  I wasnt allowed to hunt there.

Not allowed?!! 

Well I think we know who wears the fossil pants in your family! :default_rofl:

3 minutes ago, caldigger said:

Not allowed?!! 

Well I think we know who wears the fossil pants in your family! :default_rofl:

Yeah I was told I could do one or the other, but not both. But My son didnt want to leave at 1 am to go to Jersey with me. We have to go to Maryland because my other son has a Marching band performance in Annapolis. So Devin said he wants to hunt Calvert cliffs before the performance. It has turned into " Honey, think of the children".:D And BTW I won't even pretend that I wear the fossilpants.:unsure:

• I found this Informative 1

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

Ha, you knew those kids would come in handy someday. 

"But honey, it's for Devin! You don't want to deprive our child of a full enriched childhood do you?  He might grow up to be a paleontologist and end up supporting us in our senior years."  :heartylaugh:

Congratulations Dave. Your opportunism led to an especially productive trip. I like that bryozoan encrusted Palaeozygopleura the best. Usually those are completely enclosed and the Gastropoda is invisible.

Great report, Dave. I am especially taking notes on the "family management" portions of this thread :D Good luck at Calvert next week. 

12 hours ago, Darktooth said:

We left at 5, which is what I promised Devin. I am sure he was shocked that I didnt say" Just 5 more minutes ".:rolleyes:

Well, he was holding the gun! -_-

22 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

Looks like it was a worthwhile hunt, even if you didn't find any bugs. Love that 2-valve Modiomorpha!

I have found some from Briggs Road but they were from the fragile section of the pit. They fell apart a couple days after bringing them home.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

22 hours ago, Jeffrey P said:

Congratulations Dave. Your opportunism led to an especially productive trip. I like that bryozoan encrusted Palaeozygopleura the best. Usually those are completely enclosed and the Gastropoda is invisible.

I was finding a some that were totally covered at one of the group hunts and Tim told me what they were. If it wasnt for him I wouldnt have known about them. I too, like that this one is exposed.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

16 hours ago, Monica said:

I'm with Eric - that double-valved bivalve is my favourite, too!  Congrats on the nice finds! :dinothumb:

Thank-you Monica!

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg