Hoping for a second opinion

The_bro87

I think this is a Rex tooth because it has a thick base and the tooth is wide, but I’m not expert and was hoping someone could reaffirm for me.

613F6225-9190-434D-93C1-348AF3CC07B3.jpeg

What makes you think it's a rex tooth?

Does it have any enamel on it? It doesn't seem like it from the photos but I could be wrong. Rex teeth also have serrations which I don't see present.

I think it’s just really worn I have a different picture of the back side of the tooth which has serrations. And for the enamel I think it’s been worn off a lot. I don’t really care about the condition I just want a rex tooth lol 

Edited by The_bro87

More pictures could indeed be helpful.

Cheers,

J

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

Ive seen this one. It does have some serrations and I think the enamel damage is from roots. I have a JRF Tyrannosaur tooth with root etching that looks similar though not nearly as severe as this. 

I am pretty sure @Troodon has done a Rex/Nano ID post. I would recommend checking that out. Check out the shape of the base. That may help you. Posting some additional pictures would help as well. 

Thank you very much for your help. I’ve taken a look at troodon’s post before, which is actually why I thought this was a rex tooth. Hopefully I’m right, but I wanted to make sure 

Okay you got me there. These are MUCH better photos and I do agree with you that this is possibly a tooth. The serrations are reminiscent of a rex but this is not an area that I am very knowledgeable in. I'm excited to hear the thoughts of some of our other members. Cool find regardless of what it is :)

Well I just bought it... I’ll take a closer look at it when it arrives  but I’m pretty confident. Thank you all for your help 

Also, I know it’s missing the tip (obviously), but does it look like any is missing of the other end towards the base? I’m guessing at least a little, but does anyone have an idea of how much there could be missing from the back?

Locality is very important in identification of a tooth since a number of tyrannosaurids are present in North America.  Difficult to say how much is missing guess not much from the base.

I’ll try and contact the seller to see what the locality is. But regardless I really do appreciate all the help with this 

I've hidden comments about seller activities.  Please keep public commentary focused on the specimen.  Use PM for any other discussion.  Thanks.  ;)

• I found this Informative 1

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ