possibly stromatolite ?

laiosx

Hi from Greece found this few years ago. I was looking for plant fossils following some reports mentioning theese trees Pinus nigra, Buxus sempervirens, Fraxinus, Corylus,Pinus marritima, Quercus suber in petrified forms. Among findings was this is there any possibility to be some form of stromatolite ?

stroma1.jpg

stroma2.jpg

What kind of rock is it? Does it fizz in acid?

My first reaction was no, because it looked like a chunk of granite. And if you were looking in rocks and formations where you were expecting to find terrestrial plant fossils, you wouldn't expect to find a marine stromatolite fossil. But anything is possible. 

Can you tell us exactly where you found it?

Kind regards,

Bob

22 hours ago, Bob Clouser said:

And if you were looking in rocks and formations where you were expecting to find terrestrial plant fossils, you wouldn't expect to find a marine stromatolite fossil.

I found my best quaternary stromatolites in terrestrial (limnic) sediments. And stromatolites from Wyomings Blue Forrest are really nice ones, too.

For me the object shown above looks more like an onkoid? If, onko or stromy, it should react with HCl, nevertheless.

As I always considered it as calcareous I never checked . I checked now and I confirm it is calcareous . About the exact place is near Lavrion Attica exact place Kamariza