Does this piece of petrified wood have amber on it?

Krihnu

I've collected bucket loads of petrified wood from my family's land in central Texas, but have never found a piece with amber on it. I'm not incredibly keen on sticking a hot needle on it since this is the only specimen I've ever found like this. It doesn't seem to be agate. I can't find many publications on it. Can anyone tell me if this is actually a bit of amber on here or where I can read more about it?

petwoodamb7.jpg

petwoodamb1.jpg

petwoodamb5.jpg

petwoodam2.jpg

petwoodamb6.jpg

Edited by Krihnu
Ruler for scale
  • I found this Informative 1

Welcome to TFF from Austria!

Very interesting specimen, but I have no idea :headscratch:.

There are many knowledgeable members from Texas on this forum: @erose @grandpa, @JohnJ @Uncle Siphuncle Thanks!

However, I think you can do some tests without destroying your specimen. The edge appears to be dinged, and you could easily pry off a small splinter from this dinged area.

You could put this splinter in vinegar and see, if it fizzes. If yes --> calcite.

If no, you can apply the hot needle test to the splinter --> melting, smoke, characteristic smell --> amber or related substance.

If there is no reaction to the hot needle, you can try to scratch your specimen at a hidden spot with a needle. You should not be able to make a scratch, because it would most probably be some kind of silica (chalcedony etc.) then.

Franz Bernhard

• I found this Informative 4

Hello, Krihnu and a big WELCOME to the forum from Austin.  Glad to have you aboard. 

That's a nice specimen of wood you have.  From the photos, my impression is that it has a seam of chalcedony (likely agate) running along the grove of the wood.  If I am right, a knife should not scratch it, nor a hot needle react with it.  I might be a bit more daring, but I think nothing would be lost by touching the very end of the specimen with a hot needle to satisfy your curiosity.  But then, it's not my specimen.

Again, WELCOME!

• I found this Informative 4

I think @grandpa is right on target!  That is a chalcedony filled void in the wood.  Nice find.  

• I found this Informative 3

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

1 hour ago, grandpa said:

Hello, Krihnu and a big WELCOME to the forum from Austin.  Glad to have you aboard. 

That's a nice specimen of wood you have.  From the photos, my impression is that it has a seam of chalcedony (likely agate) running along the grove of the wood.  If I am right, a knife should not scratch it, nor a hot needle react with it.  I might be a bit more daring, but I think nothing would be lost by touching the very end of the specimen with a hot needle to satisfy your curiosity.  But then, it's not my specimen.

Again, WELCOME!

Concur. 

Something also to consider is the fossilization process.  Petrification and agatization involve replacement of the original wood material with silicon dioxide (quartz, agate, etc). That process is not very conducive to the preservation of tree resin. 

At each of the three amber sites that I have collected (all Cretaceous, eastern US) the amber was present in lignite, in a reduced organic clay.

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana

nice piece btw. I wonder if the agate fluoresces yellow-green under UV?

• I found this Informative 1

George Santayana

Amber is formed from tree resin, which is from the outer layers of the tree. That looks to be inner, which could mean either chalcedony as suggested or a large-ish pocket of sap that has petrified. I've seen small runs of fossilized tree sap in pet wood, but it's always small, thin patches, never something thick like that. I'm adding my vote for chalcedony. Agatized wood is always a nice find, so that's a keeper in my book no matter what. :default_clap2:

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

1 hour ago, hemipristis said:

Concur. 

Something also to consider is the fossilization process.  Petrification and agatization involve replacement of the original wood material with silicon dioxide (quartz, agate, etc). That process is not very conducive to the preservation of tree resin. 

At each of the three amber sites that I have collected (all Cretaceous, eastern US) the amber was present in lignite, in a reduced organic clay.

Exact ! Very good explanation - and yes cretaceous amber is mostly found in lignite (i know this from several spots in europe...).

• I found this Informative 2

6 hours ago, Krihnu said:

Thank you for welcoming me, I'm glad to be here. Thank you for the information as well, that's very helpful.

Welcome to TFF!

George Santayana