BobWill

My friend from Florida is a major gourd collector and has items on display in several museums. He cannot resist anything gourd-related so he was compelled to buy this item with a label identifying it as a "petrified gourd" from Ponce City Oklahoma. I see where there are some Permian and Pennsylvanian formations near there so that would eliminate those areas if it were a gourd. I doubt we will be able to know whether it came from the Pleistocene terrace deposits to the east but gourd seems very unlikely anyway.

This has a very distinctive look and the preservation seem fairly good so I thought someone might recognize it from the photos. 

20190924_170123.thumb.jpg.13d0e8f6a616646046afbfd2565deeae.jpg

1 hour ago, Al Dente said:

Femur head from a large mammal.

Now that makes sense. Should I ask about how heavy or hard it is? I don't know if it is mineralized at all. Is there a test I could ask my friend to try to confirm anything about it?

Yes, it seems like mammal bone-material.

ID is supported by the pleistocene terrace deposits in which those fossils can be found typically.

Never heard from a fossilized gourd....:Confused:

8 hours ago, caldigger said:

Weird.

Not the item in hand mind you,  just that your friend collects gourds. :heartylaugh:

He's definitely not yer average attorney/mensan ;)

He has gourds from all over the world and some very old ones, but most are adapted for primitive utilitarian purposes or decorative or music-related. I was forced lucky enough to watch a slide show of some of his collection.

13 hours ago, caldigger said:

Weird.

Not the item in hand mind you,  just that your friend collects gourds. :heartylaugh:

We have people here that collect poop.. :headscratch:

• I found this Informative 1

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.