Carl

The biggest joy is in the rare and overlooked.

Burrows filled with invertebrate coprolites. Late Cretaceous, New Jersey. 22 September 2019.

Invert Copros in Burrows Tiny Creek 22Sep19.jpg

• I found this Informative 19

2 minutes ago, sharkdoctor said:

Wow! Great find! I wonder what they look like under magnification? Signs of manipulation, etc?

Nothing additional (at least to me) under high mag.

are those the so called fecal pellets? I've seen simmilar ones in the miocene deposits here in Belgium often on the inside of fossil shells . one theory is that they are from schrimps.

growing old is mandatory but growing up is optional.

We see those in the Calvert Formation as well. Sometimes they have evidence of an even smaller critter boring in the side. 

• I found this Informative 2

1 hour ago, Manticocerasman said:

are those the so called fecal pellets? I've seen simmilar ones in the miocene deposits here in Belgium often on the inside of fossil shells . one theory is that they are from schrimps.

Definitely fecal pellets. AS you say, they may be from shrimp, but they are very different from ghost shrimp pellets.

1 hour ago, Jeffrey P said:

Very interesting specimen Carl. I'll keep my eye out for more. Any idea what invert made them?

Not really. bivalves, shrimp, and worms have all been implicated.

• I found this Informative 1

12 minutes ago, doushantuo said:

Manticocerasman was on the verge of calling your piece Ophiomorpha puerilis,I think B);)

These often get confused with Ophiomorpha but they are significantly different:

• These pellets are oval and in Ophiomorpha they are spherical
  • These pellets are phosphatic and differ from the matrix and in Ophiomorpha they are the same as the surrounding sediment
  • These are each sub-millimeter in size and in Ophiomorpha they are a few millimeters each

That is one crappy fossil there... (but in a good way). :yay-smiley-1:

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

Sweet piece Carl. It seems like individual burrows with coprolite infill are fairly common but a matrix piece with many is pretty rare.

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

12 hours ago, Suvi said:

Thank you for posting, Carl! These look very similar to North Texas poop burrows!

5d8c0b507f536_Burrowpoop.thumb.jpg.87abf06d0b10a7c4a2bb0eaf9cf7999d.jpg

This is interesting! And, very funny with automatic translation for the page :D

Absolutely gorgeous!

On 25.9.2019 at 4:13 PM, Manticocerasman said:

Same theory prevails in Denmark

On 9/25/2019 at 12:38 PM, fossilnut said:

@sharkdoctorCould you post pictures of the one from the Calvert formation. Would really like to see. Thanks

@fossilnut Not the best photo, but favoring speed over perfection. A mix of what I assume are reworked pellets (black) and non-reworked (lighter). All from the basal Calvert Formation (Popes Creek Sands equivalent)

5d8e25ba47f2a_fecalpelletsresized.thumb.jpg.b5efcd6684bbb8945210234ae1a8798f.jpg