Fossil Fish: Neoproscinetes?

RaideReX

Good day, I'd like some help to identify this fossil fish. It is nearly 11 inches long. From what I've searched it looks similar to Neoproscinetes, but I'm no master of fossil fishes. I'd like to know its species name and if it is indeed a real fossil fish.

neos.jpg

@oilshale may help.

From the very first view i would say it's from Santana-Formation, lower Cretaceous;  Ceara, Brasilia. Seems indeed to be a Neoproscinetes (species would be "penalvai"). Poor prep job anyway...

• I found this Informative 2

Pemphix is right with Santana Formation. I know at least 3 deep-bodied fish from there: Neoproscinetes penalvai, Araripichthys castilhoi and Iemanja palma. Unfortunately the preservation is such that I cannot make a safe allocation, but Neoproscinetes will probably be the best guess. What irritates me is the very big caudal fin and the very short body.

Unbenannt.JPG.5d5228456ea4524d768a6aad66788e53.JPG

• I found this Informative 4

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

14 minutes ago, oilshale said:

What irritates me is the very big caudal fin and the very short body.

I'm not sure I understand this statement. Would you please expand?

23 minutes ago, Sberebit said:

I'm not sure I understand this statement. Would you please expand?

He means it has a huge tail fin, but a very short body. It looks like it was badly designed.. stubby fish with a tail that should actually belong on a larger creature.

• I found this Informative 1

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

I have the impression that your fish is either strongly compressed or a part in between is missing and the tail is made fit and pieced on. How does the glue joint look like? Do the pieces really fit?  

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

15 hours ago, oilshale said:

I have the impression that your fish is either strongly compressed or a part in between is missing and the tail is made fit and pieced on. How does the glue joint look like? Do the pieces really fit?  

That was my first impression, too. I would lean towards the missing piece, since anatomy is not matching (you can see that are missing parts if you look on the dorsal fin - imo it's much too short for any of the three genus in question). Probably around 30% is missing, imo...i can see no signs of compression on the photo.

On 9/26/2019 at 1:58 PM, oilshale said:

12 hours ago, Pemphix said:

That was my first impression, too. I would lean towards the missing piece, since anatomy is not matching (you can see that are missing parts if you look on the dorsal fin - imo it's much too short for any of the three genus in question). Probably around 30% is missing, imo...i can see no signs of compression on the photo.

Your impressions are confirmed, I asked the owner of the piece and he said the tail was fitted to a body lacking the end section.

• I found this Informative 1