Found a hipster..

Ash

We’ll update this thread when we get working on it, but for now this is Skye

(@Jesuslover340) and my latest prep project.

Busted up Pleistocene pelvis. Not sure who it’s from yet.

Pics are:

1. As found

2. Uncovering more

3. Showing size

4. Plastered

5. Breaking it free

6. Back at home. May seem ridiculous but this progression took 2 months to do. We were a bit slow/busy with life.

8D5482D1-4B57-4B88-88AB-85A6F242BB13.thumb.jpeg.3cce6ed038f1200b22591b81ca34a34e.jpeg

7B1AC81E-3229-44E4-BF2C-042D8209D7FA.thumb.jpeg.14c93915dbaa7055553a764aa93ee16d.jpeg

426A2DCF-E644-4E40-BBF8-7DB7FB7FC54B.thumb.jpeg.cb456240e0a8dcbfb76ab1f063fea9cd.jpeg

1A11CA01-EA77-4A8F-9DA7-5BC95739106B.thumb.jpeg.020b0d14287d0fb3810b3f3bffeb6ee1.jpeg

24109A27-2665-4094-84DE-A808FC0A42AC.thumb.jpeg.1c5e442cb68ab2214528114e232e9586.jpeg

FEF9C902-477D-4A37-BE16-BBC7961E0537.thumb.jpeg.fead8eb315da1c082e80a51d69c164b1.jpeg

• I found this Informative 8

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."

Small update, we’re a few inches down and many buckets of matrix, we’ve just made our first sighting!

Not sure if it’s part of the pelvis or not yet. We’ll follow it down now.

A859821A-7110-4CDD-9E7F-B4B554ADA486.jpeg

• I found this Informative 5

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."

Yep it is. Sooo many cracks and the bone has drifted apart over time. So we’ll have to remove and rejoin those pieces when the time comes. Big jacket for not much bone to be honest. I’m gunna weigh the sediment removed as we go and weigh the bone because we jokingly said it’s 95% dirt in there. Chances are it is.

There is what we think to be a tooth (possibly Diprotodon) on the other (top) side of the jacket. It’ll be a fun thing to find when we get to it.

Also a pic of how we’re going on matrix removal.

F7CEABCF-37B8-4134-9560-1314D5920F54.jpeg

6F96A03C-65BD-4848-A222-A715D50E26AC.jpeg

• I found this Informative 5

• 3 weeks later...

Sore knees, palms, lots of glue (no paraloid yet) and a few hours later, this is our progress for the day:

1571236109286_4641215026_31a8e146.thumb.jpg.ad424d80f6a0ca17d53c27e4c176f990.jpg

• I found this Informative 6

"Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another."
-Romans 14:19

• 2 weeks later...

Half way. Just doing a bit of time here and there as life allows.

Pretty sure it’s Diprotodon or at least a Diprotodontid at this point.

0ED3A8BA-CEB1-4CF1-9945-D2B2D0739460.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

Wow, you guys look like a couple of professionals! I would never even attempt a plaster cast, I figure I'd have to call in someone else to do it.

What kind of glue are you using if not Paraloid?

Paraloid B72 and generic cheap superglue. That crack on the right side with the root through it will get araldite epoxy when we decide what we’re doing there (which will be after it’s flipped).

We’ll do a turning cast soon, just got a little more I want to clear away on this side first.

We’re learning, was fortunate enough to have a guy who does prep work for the main museum here teach me in both field and at home for prep. It’s come in handy as there’s no way we could have got this out without a plaster jacket.

Jacketing is a must for larger specimens. I have attempted prep on some that people collected without a jacket and it was a nightmare. It's really far more simple that one would think. The process has been the same since the 1800's.

:popcorn:

2 hours ago, Ash said:

Paraloid B72 and generic cheap superglue. That crack on the right side with the root through it will get araldite epoxy when we decide what we’re doing there (which will be after it’s flipped).

We’ll do a turning cast soon, just got a little more I want to clear away on this side first.

We’re learning, was fortunate enough to have a guy who does prep work for the main museum here teach me in both field and at home for prep. It’s come in handy as there’s no way we could have got this out without a plaster jacket.

Whoa... time out.  Paraloid B72 is NOT at all a superglue.  "superglue" is a term meaning cyanoacrylate.  Paraloid is not a cyanoacrylate.  It is an acrylic.  It is much much more reversible than superglue.  Superglue is pretty permanent.  Yes, it comes off, slowly (5 to 15 minutes of soaking if you are lucky) with acetone, but Paraloid comes off very quickly with acetone, making it a much better product to use in the field.   

Is your araldite a 5 minute epoxy?  If so I would go with something else.  5 minute epoxy turns yellow and brittle (i.e. likely to fall apart) within 10 years.  Two ton epoxy s a better p[roduct for permanent joins of big bones.   

PS... great find, guys.

12 minutes ago, jpc said:

Whoa... time out.  Paraloid B72 is NOT at all a superglue.

I think you misread the post. @Ash said they are using Paraloid B72 AND superglue. :D

4 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

I think you misread the post. @Ash said they are using Paraloid B72 AND superglue. :D

oops... I sure did.  My bad. 

:zzzzscratchchin: :DOH:

lol. Thanks Ptychodus04. Yes we’re well aware of the properties of different adhesives and consolidants. Anything we do or use is what the museums here in Australia also do and use. :dinothumb:

I think that’s a thumbs up emoticon. ^

10 hours ago, jpc said:

oops... I sure did.  My bad. 

I misread that, too, so you're not alone!  :blink:

10 hours ago, Ash said:

:zzzzscratchchin: :DOH:

lol. Thanks Ptychodus04. Yes we’re well aware of the properties of different adhesives and consolidants. Anything we do or use is what the museums here in Australia also do and use. :dinothumb:

I think that’s a thumbs up emoticon. ^

Yep! We don't do EVERYTHING upside down here :D

• I found this Informative 2

"Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another."
-Romans 14:19

• 3 months later...

So it’s been awhile, but we’ve restarted on it. Cut a lot of the jacket away and preparing to do a turning cast.

Just a few more places need more consolidation.

D5FE56DA-22B1-43DC-A1C5-A2D99490FC2F.jpeg

Looks like this now.

Will see if I can get a hand to flip it over. There’s a tooth somewhere on the other side that we’re yet to find working from the underside. It should be visible again when flipped.

8669F9AA-60BE-4DC5-991E-4CCE9A96D6AF.png