Iguanodonfossil

Hello,

It has been a little while since I've posted here; but I'd like some help if possible. I rarely buy fossils but as I'm a ceratopsian fan and we don't have any in our local formations (UK) I've decided to buy a tooth; I'd just like ID confirmation and wether it's a good example. I don't mind a little feeding wear nor matrix, which it has, but from what I've seen via search engines is that the preservation (Judith River Formation) and the fact that the tooth is rooted is quite good? I bought this from FossilEra and I assume they're still reputable. It's noted down as chasmosaurus sp. I reckon you can only ID down to a genus? I don't know much about the Judith River Formation; so it'd be nice if someone could help me out with some context. :)

1.55 inches long (photos are taken from the website, they're not my own)

All the best!

Screenshot 2019-09-27 at 17.45.21.png

Screenshot 2019-09-27 at 17.45.30.png

Screenshot 2019-09-27 at 17.45.39.png

Screenshot 2019-09-27 at 17.46.34.png

The tooth is indeed a Ceratopsian.  The crown is excellent but its missing both roots.   It would be nice to have a specific locality (state/county) to verify if the formation is accurate.  Matrix actually looks like the Lance Fm why locality is very important.  Has far as identification you cannot assign any large bodied Ceratopsian tooth to a genus/species unless it was found with an identifiable skull.  So its best called "Ceratospsid indet."

• I found this Informative 2

2 hours ago, Troodon said:

The tooth is indeed a Ceratopsian.  The crown is excellent but its missing both roots.   It would be nice to have a specific locality (state/county) to verify if the formation is accurate.  Matrix actually looks like the Lance Fm why locality is very important.  Has far as identification you cannot assign any large bodied Ceratopsian tooth to a genus/species unless it was found with an identifiable skull.  So its best called "Ceratospsid indet."

Hm it was listed as partially rooted and I can see at least one root, the tooth is sort of on it's side, but I can see it if I'm not mistaken it's within the matrix. Montana Judith River Formation (sorry should have put that) and it was found by Mark Eatman, hopefully will get a specific locality mailed to me soon. 

I've held that tooth, almost bought it. It's a really nice tooth. Could use a bit of prep. Pretty rare to find nice ceratopsian crowns in the Judith.

12 hours ago, zekky said:

I've held that tooth, almost bought it. It's a really nice tooth. Could use a bit of prep. Pretty rare to find nice ceratopsian crowns in the Judith.

Agreed, very nice specimen. I have a few pieces of frill from the Judith River fm. that I found this summer, ceratopsian remains are significantly rarer in that formation than in Hell Creek & Lance despite having several more species.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! :) I don't think I'll prep it further, as the matrix provides context/interest. (at least for me) 

On 29/09/2019 at 4:21 AM, zekky said:

Cool, did you do that at FossilEra HQ? or from the original collector? Just curious as I like to keep as much information as possible with my specimens. 

On 29/09/2019 at 4:59 PM, PaleoNoel said:

Agreed, very nice specimen. I have a few pieces of frill from the Judith River fm. that I found this summer, ceratopsian remains are significantly rarer in that formation than in Hell Creek & Lance despite having several more species.

Is that because commercial/legal collecting is limited? I read elsewhere that, it can be difficult to access the formation unless you have permission from certain ranches. :)

22 hours ago, Iguanodonfossil said:

Is that because commercial/legal collecting is limited? I read elsewhere that, it can be difficult to access the formation unless you have permission from certain ranches. :)

I believe that the Judith River fm has fewer exposures than hell creek, however I don't think it's especially hard to obtain fossils from this formation. Ceratopsids are just not common, especially compared to the Hadrosaurs. That's what I've experienced hunting the JRF and I'm confident others would agree with me. That's what makes the specimen as valuable as it is- the rarity of complete crowns.

14 minutes ago, PaleoNoel said:

I believe that the Judith River fm has fewer exposures than hell creek, however I don't think it's especially hard to obtain fossils from this formation. Ceratopsids are just not common, especially compared to the Hadrosaurs. That's what I've experienced hunting the JRF and I'm confident others would agree with me. That's what makes the specimen as valuable as it is- the rarity of complete crowns.

Thanks for the info! As I said I don't know a great deal about the formation so any extra information/context is really helpful :) I'd just been looking for a decent example of a ceratopsian tooth for a little while now. 

On 10/1/2019 at 9:03 AM, Iguanodonfossil said:

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! :) I don't think I'll prep it further, as the matrix provides context/interest. (at least for me) 

Cool, did you do that at FossilEra HQ? or from the original collector? Just curious as I like to keep as much information as possible with my specimens. 

Not form fossilera, before fossilera bought it.