Jackson g

Hey there,

I recently acquired this nice Calymene trilobite that came from the Silurian Jupiter Formation of Anticosti Island, Canada. Pretty happy with it as it's my first calymene in my collection. It was labeled and sold as Calymene Gamechei by the collector and preparator. I haven't had much time to do a thorough check, but quickly glancing at it before work makes me think the ID could be a bit off by the cephalon alone. Possibly a Dicalymene Schucherti or some other undescribed Calymene Sp. instead? I only had time take a quick photo before I left, so I'll post lateral and dorsal views later on after work. Thanks for the help! -Jackson

20190927_142007.jpg

Nice acquisition, and my best guess is the ID is correct. The added special quality here is that this particular site will soon to be declared a UNESCO Heritage site, and so collecting there will no longer be possible.

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

25 minutes ago, Kane said:

The added special quality here is that this particular site will soon to be declared a UNESCO Heritage site, and so collecting there will no longer be possible.

News to me.  Is the entire island going to be off limits?

Don

3 minutes ago, FossilDAWG said:

News to me.  Is the entire island going to be off limits?

Don

This is what I heard from a fellow collector, but I haven’t independently verified this yet. Of course, it wouldn’t surprise me.

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

1 hour ago, Kane said:

Nice acquisition, and my best guess is the ID is correct. The added special quality here is that this particular site will soon to be declared a UNESCO Heritage site, and so collecting there will no longer be possible.

Thanks for the quick response Kane! I have heard the same thing about collecting soon being put to a hold on the island. Thats one reason I picked up a sweet Calymene while I could! I'll keep the label as Gamechei. It could be inexperience on my part but the glabellar lobes and cheek spines looked off, and the ornamentation on the cephalon is what confused me. Heres the other views.

20190928_083139.jpg

20190928_083827.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

5 minutes ago, Malcolmt said:

I have heard the same from someone who regularly has collected there

I'm pretty sure both of you are correct on this, though I haven't done my research into the topic yet. The man who collected and prepared all my Anticosti Island trilobites told me the same thing that collecting will be outlawed soon.

I just looked it up.  The application is to have the entire island declared a heritage site, and the application is specifically based on the fossil record.  So yes that would put the entire island off limits.

Years ago I traded to get a small collection of brachiopods from Anticosti.  That collector described beaches paved with fossils.  Seems overkill to "protect" everything and leave it to erosion.  But we've had that discussion before, no value to go down that path again I guess.

To the OP: fantastic fossil and you are lucky to have obtained it before the ban.

Don

• I found this Informative 2

I had the opportunity to go collect there a few years ago but passed on it. It was going to be super expensive by the time all the costs were factored in. It is not easy to get to.