MAKE A STAND!

snolly50

This post attempts to document the effort to construct a display stand suitable for a large Mosasaur jaw section. It reveals the collaborative effort of snolly and @Ptychodus04, Kris.

This project was carried out in "snolly time." That is, it was half done and put aside as snolly's wandering mind flitted about, alighting on various other inchoate projects. Now, finally it is (mostly) done and here are the results. 

snolly pondered and roughed out what might be a simple, utile design. A sturdy, heavy wooden base was desired. To this end, blanks were obtained from an exotic wood dealer. The square pieces were produced as "bowl blanks" for use by wood turners. Acquired were a 10X10X2" piece and two 4X4X2" pieces. The wood is Bloodwood, Brosimum rubescens. This is an extremely dense, tool dulling, tropical hardwood. 

Here is the wood upon arrival with the protective wax coating being removed.

DSCN3102ac.thumb.jpg.24abe97b985c6f83d092d3f3f893d31f.jpg

An orbital sander was employed using finer and finer disks.

DSCN3113ac.thumb.jpg.f9a8f10266c39b7ad529b0e7afce04ec.jpg

Shellac was selected as the finish and a batch was mixed from flakes dissolved in alcohol. This was applied with a cloth dauber and multiple rubbed coats were built on the wood's surface.

DSCN3121ac.thumb.jpg.46ae75064db84a84bbf71d7e12bd43b6.jpg

The finished blocks were assembled with wood glue. Later this proved foolhardy as the glue joints separated during drilling to place the metal armatures. They were re-glued and screws installed. It would have been best to have utilized screws from the start.

DSCN3126ac.thumb.jpg.f38aa8a9c515fc3b9c0a2afe26688e6d.jpg

The finished woodwork.

DSCN3128ac.thumb.jpg.09acc97833f600bfb69bf5ee0ac67009.jpg

Using scrap wire, snolly molded it to the fossil in an effort to fathom the measurements needed to fashion custom supports. @Ptychodus04, Kris then used his metal working skills to produce the two required armatures. The beefy uprights of the pieces are 6/16" stock; while the arms are a ductile 3/16". Kris has earned a well-deserved, positive reputation on the Forum for his prep skills. However, beyond ability, you will not find a more helpful and pleasant person. While he does wear a dress and his judgement may be occasionally addled by excessive capsaicin consumption; he is nonetheless a worthy ally in any fossil related endeavor. 

The tape seen marks cut-off points that were made for a final custom fitting. Rubber caps (intended for wire shelving) were later employed to provided a finished look and a little cushioning.

DSC_3772ac.thumb.jpg.a8d8988e3c26a8d56a8c678b0269e5f7.jpg

Here is the finished project. All that remains is a re-waxing of the wood finish. This is needed as it was handled so much during the drilling for the support pieces. In hindsight, I would chose to assemble (with screws) and drill before finishing the wood. However, not having immediate access to a drill press (to insure a right angle hole) I proceeded with the finish. It would have been better to assemble and drill first.

DSC_3888ac.thumb.jpg.564ff15b3a68b495a97e8b3a4c40e2b9.jpg

The back

DSCN3501ac.thumb.jpg.4dd5c656e768513f607f68fe3ba9631c.jpg

DSC_3895ac.thumb.jpg.04d9e9f5f9aa720d9965497cbbd18507.jpg

It was a fun project. Kris, thanks for the help.

• I found this Informative 5

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Here are two related Forum topics for those interested.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

I really like the look of your new stand almost architectural feeling about it. They really do make a  show of that jaw . Cheers for adding my post to. Good work both.

Bobby

It was also prepared with slow meticulous steps using "old school" hand craftsmanship that is very rare to see these days of instant gratification.

Looks great with a very rich feel.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

30 minutes ago, caldigger said:

Looks great with a very rich feel.

Thanks, there is something satisfying and relaxing in applying the rubbed shellac finish. 

58 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

Good work

Thanks, the astute viewer will note the fabulous Bobby Rico seascape artwork hanging in the background of the next to last posted image.

• I found this Informative 1

10 minutes ago, snolly50 said:

Thanks, there is something satisfying and relaxing in applying the rubbed shellac finish. 

Thanks, the astute viewer will note the fabulous Bobby Rico seascape artwork hanging in the background of the next to last posted image.

I really pleased you are enjoying the seascape . It is definitely among some beautiful objects.

I love the stand! The use of bowl blanks was a great idea. I have some left from my turning days. I think I will put them to good use. ;) 

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

@snolly50... John, you did a beautiful job completing the stand and the jaw looks great in it. I must chastise you for your lack of erudite as it relates to men’s non-bifurcated garments. The kilt is a skirt, not a dress. If you’re going to insult me, do it properly. :heartylaugh:

@sharkdoctor the paint employed was a highly specific off brand flat black spray paint procured from my local hardware store for $.98 a can.

58 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

the paint employed was a highly specific off brand flat black spray paint procured from my local hardware store for $.98 a can.

Ah, those are my favorite brands.

In my opinion just as good without the name brand expense. ;)

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

1 hour ago, Ptychodus04 said:

the paint employed was a highly specific off brand flat black spray paint procured from my local hardware store for $.98 a can.

WHAT?!?! You told me it was a custom formulated, premium paint with carbon based pigment derived from crushed, gem quality diamonds!

1 hour ago, caldigger said:

Ah, those are my favorite brands.

In my opinion just as good without the name brand expense. ;)

Yep. I find with a bit of care, I can achieve better results with the cheap stuff than the name brand.

8 minutes ago, snolly50 said:

WHAT?!?! You told me it was a custom formulated, premium paint with carbon based pigment derived from crushed, gem quality diamonds!

Oh, right. That's the one I used on your stand. :thumbsu:

2 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

$.98 a can.

Not to worry John.  Kris just got the dot in the wrong spot. It should have read $98.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

• 1 month later...