Erosionofspecies

Somewhere, somewhen @Shamalama posted about some relatively large but flattened goniatites he collected along 18 mile Creek.  Your fossils seem similar if my recollection is correct.  At any rate I don't know of any Hamilton Group gastropods that look like that.

Don

• I found this Informative 2

Yep they’re very similar indeed! There was 1/2 a manticoceras looking one too, (I’ll upload too when I can) Most of all the goniatites are all smooshed into the concretions that fell off the side of the cliffs. More of them the farther from Lake Erie ya get up the creek. 

What are the last few fossils?

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

23 hours ago, FossilDAWG said:

Somewhere, somewhen @Shamalama posted about some relatively large but flattened goniatites he collected along 18 mile Creek.  Your fossils seem similar if my recollection is correct.  At any rate I don't know of any Hamilton Group gastropods that look like that.

Don

Thanks for the mention Don. It was a prior thread about Goniatites where I posted some that I'd found from the Cashaqua Shale along Lake Erie: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/2013/06/goniatites-from-upper-devonian-of-new.html

The Goniatites @Erosionofspecies found do indeed look to have come from the same type of rock. Were you up past the second bridge across the creek but before the third bridge when you made your finds?

Can you get a closer shot of the specimen in the last photo? I'm thinking it is either a Phyllocarid or maybe fish armor.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Armored fish is what I was thinking...  

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

@Shamalama @FossilDAWG @Fossildude19.Upstream from the old train/overpass tunnels and near hobuck flats. The last block I haven’t had a change to do any matrix removal yet, I’ll post again when I get somewhere with it. And as for the black “fin shaped” one is most likely a plant fossil that’s turned to charcoal. I’m in contact with Dr. James Boyle from UB to identifying a possible arthordire placoderm (from another post)and this one in the last photo. 

22 hours ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

Thanks for sharing.

That creek is great if you ever get the chance 

@FossilDAWG yeah if you’re talking about beach access, still no go. There is some beach and cliffs access however down at sturgeon point but nothing like the what you find at mouth of 18mile