North central indiana

I_know_nothing

20190927_133350.thumb.jpg.0a8ca0335f6bc1329f698d744c84c295.jpg
While digging a new pond this fell out of the bucket. It is 15 in long, 8 in wide, 3 in thick. Very heavy. Will try to get good pics. 

Thanks 

Hope

This could be a piece of petrified wood and we are seeing the outer bark.  Could you take some end-on photos so we can see if there is any wood-grain?  Also, if you could take a photo that shows the whole rock so that we get a different perspective of the structure, that might help ID it as well.

On 9/29/2019 at 5:42 AM, FranzBernhard said:

I do not see a fossil here, unfortunately.

I am seeing some sort of gneiss:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gneiss

Franz Bernhard

I'm with Franz on this one. There was a lot of Canadian Shield metamorphic and igneous erratics shoved south by those darn glaciers.  

There was a location just north of Dayton, Ohio where you could see glacial striations* in the lower Silurian limestone and sitting on top were two large boulders of granite. Where the gravel was exposed between the limestone and the topsoil I even found a polished Petoskey stone.

* There were two obvious directions that the striations followed from probably two different glacial advances.

• I found this Informative 1

It may not be native to Indiana but it was dug out of the ground here. As of now I have found 2 similar rocks in the mix of dirt/rock coming out of this spot where the pond is going. Noble county Indiana to be more precise. Will post photos of the others later this morning.