Ammonites, Trilobites, Fossil Fish: Another Western Adventure

Jeffrey P

Kemmer WY, on the Green River is an awesome fossil trip to book with a private quarry. I have been a couple times when I was about 12 then when I was 35. Both times just as fun and you can't not find fossils. Kids love it because you find fish about every 5 minutes. My nephew even found a 20" piranha there. 

Glad to hear You made it home safe with all those neat fossils.

Looks like You did good at all 3 sites.

Was nice to get to hunt with You.:fistbump:

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

13 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

Congratulations on a successful trip out there, Jeff. :) 

Glad you were able to strike three more sites from your list! 

Looks like I missed out on a great adventure. 

Thanks Tim. I believe this trip would have been even more fun if you had been there. Hopefully next time. 

9 hours ago, ynot said:

Glad to hear You made it home safe with all those neat fossils.

Looks like You did good at all 3 sites.

Was nice to get to hunt with You.:fistbump:

Thanks Tony. Our day at Fossil Hill was truly special and well worth the long trip to get there. Enjoyed meeting you and your friends. Thanks for your generosity and help. Best of luck and wishes with your present and future endeavors. 

• I found this Informative 1

Nice to see folks getting out and fossil hunting.   Long ways to go to hunt but looks like you had a blast!   and yeah, the scenery of the west is awsome!   Have fun again when you go through your fossil finds. 

RB

Jeff, you sly dog you. Brushing off that complete Pharodeus as "incomplete"! Minor missing tail bits is all and you found that on your first day?!?!  I have yet to get a complete one after four visits over the years!  Very Jealous .  :default_faint:

It looks like you had a pair of good trips this year. Congrats on the finds!

Dave

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Great trip. Thanks for sharing the photos.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

Thanks for report. I was hoping to make a second trip to Wyoming before the quarries close for the season, but my work schedule and over budget home "improvements " won't allow. It'll have to wait until next year. I really like the Phareodus. I haven't had the chance to do much prep on the nice little one I found back in early July.

Excellent pics and finds, definitely a stellar trip :yay-smiley-1:

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

My second and last shipment of fossils arrived Monday afternoon via UPS. So here are some more specimens from the trip.  The first photo is what at the quarry, they call a "trilobite death plate." I prefer to call it a concentration of trilobite molts.The second is an imprint of an Asaphiscus wheeleri trilobite. Unfortunately, about 40% of the positive side shattered into tiny bits when the slab was split. However the imprint looks, I think, pretty good.

IMG_4795.JPG

IMG_4810.JPG

• I found this Informative 4

Those are some good Trilo's there Jeff. How'd the fish make out in shipping?

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

18 minutes ago, Shamalama said:

Those are some good Trilo's there Jeff. How'd the fish make out in shipping?

One was destroyed. Two others were were broken, but repairable. The other 14 were alright. My two best fish I brought home in my carry on. I'm guessing you would know which ones those were. Trilos and ammonites all fared shipping well. 

Ammonites weren't the only fossils at Fossil Hill, Nevada, the Triassic site. This is a slab of straight-shelled nautiloids and another of Daonella, a bivalve. Belemnites were also present. 

IMG_4796.JPG

IMG_4800.JPG

• I found this Informative 4

9 minutes ago, Jeffrey P said:

One was destroyed. Two others were was broken, but repairable. The other 14 were alright. My two best fish I brought home in my carry on. I'm guessing you would know which ones those were. Trilos and ammonites all fared shipping well. 

Destroyed?! Broken?! Oh no! :( 

I hate to hear that Jeff! Hopefully the two broken ones can be repaired, as you say. I wonder what the TSA agent thought of the ones in your carry on? Is that a rock? A fish? Sir I need you to come with me! :heartylaugh:

38 minutes ago, Jeffrey P said:

The second is an imprint of an Asaphiscus wheeleri trilobite.

Good looking imprint to me. :) 

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

2 minutes ago, FossilNerd said:

Destroyed?! Broken?! Oh no! :( 

I hate to hear that Jeff! Hopefully the two broken ones can be repaired, as you say. I wonder what the TSA agent thought of the ones in your carry on? Is that a rock? A fish? Sir I need you to come with me! :heartylaugh:

Good looking imprint to me. :) 

The fish fossils from Kemmerer split fish layer are particularly fragile. Although they were, I think wrapped pretty well,  some were heavier than others and I think some of the heavier ones crushed the lighter ones in transit. Still, so many complete ones did make it through unscathed that over all I'm pretty happy. TSA, by the way, gave me no issue with the fossils in my carry on. Never had a problem with them.

29 minutes ago, Jeffrey P said:

TSA, by the way, gave me no issue with the fossils in my carry on. Never had a problem with them.

Good to know in case I ever get to work on completing this trip bucket list of mine! :) 

32 minutes ago, Jeffrey P said:

Still, so many complete ones did make it through unscathed that over all I'm pretty happy.

Great! Glad to hear that most made it. Looks like you had a most excellent trip with some very nice finds! :dinothumb:

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

Looks like you had an amazing trip Jeff!!! The U Dig quarry and green river formation Are places I will eventually visit someday.....I love living vicariously through these posts!!