Raptor claw

Aurelius

Someone online is selling this as a 'raptor claw'. Does anyone have any idea what it might really be? I suspect it's a piece of Kem Kem fish skull. The seller insists that it's a raptor claw.

raptor.jpg

I wont take any guess based upon one small individual picture, if the seller is not providing anymore high quality images that should be an immediate alarm bell and given the super glue sand going on I would say no. Also for future reference "Raptor" is like bad slang for dromaeosauridae. A claw of deinonachus for reference Image result for dromaeosauridae claw

• I found this Informative 2

It's not a raptor or any dino claw...theropod claws have a blood groove along it length which is not evident in the photo.  No idea what you have based just on that photo.

• I found this Informative 2

21 hours ago, akazaran said:

@troodon: Is this true for hand and toe claws?

It's like the quick in cat claws. Without blood supply it can't continue to grow, which means after a couple or three years it would have worn or broken off and could not be regrown.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

21 hours ago, akazaran said:

@troodon: Is this true for hand and toe claws?

Here is an illustration of how a theropod claw works a hand or foot claw would bascially be the same.

dino_allo_hand_claw_diagram_GASTON.jpg.b63d830459f400b206e61522128aad31.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

It is slightly reminiscent of a turtle claw but I'm on board with @Haravex. More photos are needed to determine true identity. Even one photo of the under side of the fossil would help.