Smilodon tooth ID help

Acro

This is the tooth I mentioned in last email. Has serrated edges on side and back 11” long.... I know if it’s real it’s very rare as I have researched a lot and have a good idea what it came from if it’s real but I haven’t got a definitive answer. 

49851844-625E-4AAD-B095-D5C58DFE8802.jpeg

Hello all,

i am new to this forum and trying to learn the ins outs. I have posted a couple of threads and I am in process of learning best ways  of doing so .

I found this piece in Eastern Tennessee at an estate sale. I am always looking for something that catches my eye in this realm so I was surprised to see this piece. I new it was some type of claw or tooth but not for sure when I bought it. After more research  I found it to be a tooth of a Sabre tooth tiger . tooth has  serrated edges on 2 side of tooth and is 11” long  I thought I would upload  pictures  and see what y’all thought as this is in charted territory for me . I took tooth to one of my business clients that was a retired geologist professor and he reviewed and he thought was real based on texture, weight and appearance . So I thought I would sign up to try to get more info from people that are in this field day to day. 

Thank you!

image.jpg

image.jpg

Looks like a tyrannosaurid tooth do you have other views?  Lots of replicas exist of Rooted Trex teeth some are weighted and look real.

• I found this Informative 1

Here are some more shots  

You can feel serrations(like a steak knife ) on tooth exactly where smilodon is noted having . Does T. rex have serrations as well? 

image.jpg

image.jpg

Cropped and brightened: 

image.thumb.jpg.36d398030b5b2226d4c83bbaec3058f6.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.37da71a1a3ce32ae90806954e6fba810.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.dad154d31296d909942ccb2fa902e525.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.fa2ca41cbbb11d20622b4a0f253427ac.jpg

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

You are showing me the same side on the three pictures need to see the other side.  Your is a tyrannosaurid tooth most likely a replica but cannot tell off of photos.  Yes they have serrations 

For example

Photo of a Tooth from the Trex named Stan from the Black Hill Institute 11.5"

d_1475.jpg.5ab79714d9068026711f1a2e8bbccbd3.jpg

2 hours ago, Troodon said:

Lots of replicas exist of Rooted Trex teeth some are weighted and look real.

Legitimate high quality replicas, or has money corrupted the market here ?

I think I know the answer, but the degree to which ?

24 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

Legitimate high quality replicas, or has money corrupted the market here ?

I think I know the answer, but the degree to which ?

Most I've seen are legit, cheaper for a collector than trying to spend a small fortune on an 11" Trex tooth.  

That is not a Smilodon canine.  Those teeth are more curved and flatter than that.

I would do a search for T. rex replicas and casts to see if a match can be found.  It's possible it was a custom job.

Jess

Thank you all so much  I can have some peace of mind now. I am glad I came to this forum and got some answers. 

Troodon. I am attaching photo of other side of tooth per your request. 

image.jpg

This is photos of a real sabrebtooth tiger tooth that I thought was similar to mine that I got my original idea from.

didnt know about the fakes out there. Of course I am a rookie at this stuff. I guess my $10 risk wasn’t to bad of a hit ..

I'm surprised you got a replica that looks this good in photos for that. The price, not to mention the misidentification, would have been a huge red flag though, without supporting circumstances.

I guess so. The seller had bought several things in the estate sale where tooth was acquired  he just said it’s some kind of fossil or something . He had no clue as it was in a very rural area of Tennessee. 

He wanted more for it but I told him I didn’t know if it was real or not and I would give him $10 for it . 

i didn’t really know what it was. I assumed a tooth but not for sure . I have been in this situations buying that I have made some really good finds.

• I found this Informative 2

This  restored Sabre tooth for sale online picture below is why I thought it was Sabre tooth.

Thank you all. I have learned a lot today!

Edited by Kane
Removed seller identification

Here you can compare them side by side

yours looks like the t-Rex replica that skullduggery used to sell. Still a good deal at what you got it for. They made high quality replicas molded directly from real fossils

FEE6EE2B-13AE-46FF-A8FB-9BE5531D0F96.jpeg

Thanks Randyw. I see the difference. This has been very interesting for me .I will put tooth back up in display and be able to have a factual conversation about it now instead of assuming!