emmag15

My friend found this piece in Upstate New York. My best guess is that it’s the back half a Dipleura trilobite. Any insights would be greatly appreciated!!

00D03E4A-9925-4665-9BB1-FE95BA0E3C16.jpeg

Looks like it to me, but a few better pics would help. Maybe of other angles too.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

1 minute ago, rachelgardner01 said:

Yes "upstate " :P  They call everything upstate. Ithaca/Tully area?

Near there— it was found in Delphi Falls

2 minutes ago, Darktooth said:

Looks like it to me, but a few better pics would help. Maybe of other angles too.

I’ll be able to physically hold it tomorrow so I’ll get better pictures then!

You always hear " upstate New York this" and "upstate New York that" but do you ever hear someone refer to "downstate New York"? :zzzzscratchchin:

• I found this Informative 1

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

5 minutes ago, caldigger said:

You always hear " upstate New York this" and "upstate New York that" but do you ever hear someone refer to "downstate New York"? :zzzzscratchchin:

I agree Doren, it is just like in Chicago, there are tons of pigeons, though in my whole life,  I have never seen a baby pigeon.

12 minutes ago, caldigger said:

Actually yes...New York  City and Long Island. But it always seemed weird that EVERTHING else was considered "upstate".  Hudson Valley, Adirondacks, Catskills, Finger Lakes, Southern Tier, Mohawk Valley, etc...

10 hours ago, rachelgardner01 said:

6acf4ab06c01737da58f876de34af982.jpg

As a resident of “Upstate” New York... I can confidently say that this map is accurate.:thumbsu::heartylaugh:

10 hours ago, rachelgardner01 said:

Doesn't anyone have a text tool in their image-editing software? It's much easier and cleaner when you do! :headscratch:

2 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

Doesn't anyone have a text tool in their image-editing software? It's much easier and cleaner when you do! :headscratch:

Using the tools at our disposal to most easily accomplish our task?! Lol. Are you new to the internet? 

Just giving you a hard time, but still wondering why these tools don't have a text tool...

Here Eric, 

I fixed it for you. ;) 

new-york-county-map.gif

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Somewhere lost in this conversation is the actual fossil that initiated it. Yes, that is at least a partial thorax of a Dipleura dekayi trilobite. There may be more of it than what I can see in the photograph. By the way, since I live in Putnam County I guess I'm Downstate.

• I found this Informative 4

18 hours ago, rachelgardner01 said:

You forgot New Jersey! :heartylaugh:

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

58 minutes ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

You forgot New Jersey! :heartylaugh:

No, she forgot " Central New York"!

Yes, it's  a thing.:D

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

16 hours ago, caldigger said:

So basically anything north of the "big city" is upstate. :P

Yeah, though it was just "the city" to me. The place I was born. Outside of a few counties where people commuted into the city, I always thought of the rest of New York as upstate. A place for skiing, hiking or camping, and a place I always prefered to the city. It took me a long time to consider even Boston a city. I eventually came to see that the rest of the universe didn't really revolve around "the" city. And now I wish I had spent more time hunting fossils in New Jersey and "upstate." Still time to make up for it though. I'm still looking for that fist-sized Dipleura at DSR. Nice find, Rachel.

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

21 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

Here Eric,

I fixed it for you. ;)

Much nicer! And it wasn't hard to do, otherwise you wouldn't have bothered, right? ;)  I guess I've never looked at a county map of NY state before, but I notice that each of the 5 boroughs are also counties, but some of them have different names, eg. Staten Island is Richmond County. Ya learn something new every day, it's true.

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who's responsible for diversions from a thread's intended topic, it's usually a big dogpile! :tiphat:

On 10/1/2019 at 8:01 AM, Fossildude19 said:

Here Eric, 

I fixed it for you. ;) 

new-york-county-map.gif

The designer part of me appreciates this...but I didn't post the map...I just made the comment that opened things up...dogpile? Really?  He he.

• 4 weeks later...

This is really late, but I was able to see the fossil in person and it was absolutely stunning!!  They said there was more there but they pulled on it and it just came off... tragic :(

D6F9A86E-0221-4297-A63B-B1FD443028BD.jpeg

2E20131B-EB6A-48DF-AFBF-A9A81CF45565.jpeg