older the better

I found this on a gravel bar last weekend. it appears to be a carpal/tarsal bone. it may just be a pseudo fossil. it feels fully fossilized not just old bone. I was hoping to get a better handle on what I have. if it is a fossil it either came from Pennsylvanian age rocks or quaternary river gravel, no Mesozoic rocks around here. 

IMG_1288.JPG

so you guys do think it is a fossil and not like a piece of shale that is conveniently shaped? 

I'm not sure what I would have thought if you had photographed it with a suggestively shaped rock.

It does have some bone like features though.

I was thinking rock until the fifth and sixth pictures.  In those you can definitely see bone texture.  There is also some "growth" on it that I think is altering the shape @Rockwood that could be mineralogical or bone deformity.  Could be one of the bones @Harry Pristis has suggested, but it is pretty worn and beat up to be real certain. And it is not from your Pennsylvanian aged rocks, but more likely the younger river gravels.  

• I found this Informative 1

5 hours ago, ClearLake said:

There is also some "growth" on it that I think is altering the shape @Rockwood that could be mineralogical or bone deformity. 

I can see it being where it was sort of cemented into the formation.