Petalodus12

Hi all,

This specimen was found in a black shale layer that lays directly and uncomfortably upon the Duquesne Limestone, which is Late Pennsylvanian age. It was found in the suburbs of Pittsburgh. Both the shale and limestone are filled with vertebrate fossils, especially the scales, teeth and spines of paleoniscoid fish. As far as I know there is no species list from the shale but Elonichthys has been reported. I know skull roofs can be very diagnostic so any rough estimates of genus would be very helpful! I apologize for the picture quality,  my phone is a brick.

60456BFF-8D4E-4E0D-B02B-BF8CB2D6593C.jpeg

Thank you all in advance for the help, I’ve been a long time member but haven’t posted until now

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

This actually looks like a haplolepid. Our current records from the Casselman are relatively poor in general, and identifiable fish really do improve our knowledge of the faunas, so if you're not incredibly attached to this specimen, please do consider donating this to the Carnegie. There is ongoing work on this fauna that this specimen would contribute meaningfully to.

• I found this Informative 3

1 hour ago, jdp said:

This actually looks like a haplolepid. Our current records from the Casselman are relatively poor in general, and identifiable fish really do improve our knowledge of the faunas, so if you're not incredibly attached to this specimen, please do consider donating this to the Carnegie. There is ongoing work on this fauna that this specimen would contribute meaningfully to.

I will make sure to donate this to the Carnegie, or at least loan it to them. I would be very happy to help in any way with ongoing scientific research. Is there anyone in particular that I can contact?

1 hour ago, Petalodus12 said:

I will make sure to donate this to the Carnegie, or at least loan it to them. I would be very happy to help in any way with ongoing scientific research. Is there anyone in particular that I can contact?

Any research would depend on a full donation, unfortunately. In terms of donations, you'd want to talk with Amy Henrici who is the collections manager there. In terms of researchers, please feel free to DM me and I can tell you a bit more about some of the ongoing work.

• I found this Informative 1

43 minutes ago, jdp said:

Any research would depend on a full donation, unfortunately. In terms of donations, you'd want to talk with Amy Henrici who is the collections manager there. In terms of researchers, please feel free to DM me and I can tell you a bit more about some of the ongoing work.

I will make sure to talk with her about donations. I’m interested in the ongoing research so I will dm you. Thank you for all of the information, it’s very helpful!