Mazon Creek Jellies?

Sizev_McJol

Hey guys! I’ve got some items here from Mazon Creek, IL, and I need a little help IDing them. The first one looks like a jellyfish to me, but I’m no expert. The second two... honestly I don’t even know if they’re fossils at all. The last one makes me think it might be because the center of the inside is dark and glossy and looks a little like a crunches up jelly, but I really can’t say. Any thoughts? 

D0CD247A-159B-4207-9085-D39E511022FE.jpeg

0F5529C2-52D9-47D0-B415-2FAC5F39710D.jpeg

4FC35C9C-BC11-4A55-B5EE-033A769AD1C1.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

The top picture is an Essexella jellyfish.  It is oriented upside down. 

jellyfish.png.a63f77b52039939ebceddcca5d0cea87.png

As for #2 and #3 I'm typically more hesitant to say I don't think it's a fossil, even when the preservation makes it tough to ID like these two. 

I've seen trace fossils not that dissimilar to #2.  #3 has a pattern similar to plant material at the bottom, but the preservation makes them both tough to tell.

52 minutes ago, TheRocksWillShoutHisGlory said:

As for #2 and #3 I'm typically more hesitant to say I don't think it's a fossil, even when the preservation makes it tough to ID like these two. 

I've seen trace fossils not that dissimilar to #2.  #3 has a pattern similar to plant material at the bottom, but the preservation makes them both tough to tell.

Thank you so much for your help! And thanks especially for correcting the orientation of the jelly—I was looking at it upside down lol. 

1 hour ago, Adam86cucv said:

@Nimravis might be able to help.  He has a great Mazon Creek thread.  http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/84605-sometimes-you-have-to-whack-it/&

#1 is an Essexella asherae Jellyfish 

#2 looks “wormy” but not the greatest detail and looks a little wide, but I think it might fracture points when it split open? @RCFossils , @Mark Kmiecik What do you think?

#3 - the picture is too blurry for me, but I am thinking possible coprolite.

One of the two members tagged above should be able to help.

• I found this Informative 1

1. Essexella asherae as mentioned. And since there are nearly limitless vagaries in the preservation of that species, I suggest that:

2. Essexella asherae, possibly -- in a 3/4 ventral view with the near edge of the bell towards the upper left side of the concretion. Possibly just a suggestive fracture. I agree with Ralph that it looks wormy, but a bit wide for my taste also, even as polychaete worms go.

3. Coprolite, possibly -- or just a jumble of poorly-defined detritus or forest floor debris.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

1 hour ago, Nimravis said:

#1 is an Essexella asherae Jellyfish 

#2 looks “wormy” but not the greatest detail and looks a little wide, but I think it might fracture points when it split open? @RCFossils , @Mark Kmiecik What do you think?

#3 - the picture is too blurry for me, but I am thinking possible coprolite.

One of the two members tagged above should be able to help.

43 minutes ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

1. Essexella asherae as mentioned. And since there are nearly limitless vagaries in the preservation of that species, I suggest that:

2. Essexella asherae, possibly -- in a 3/4 ventral view with the near edge of the bell towards the upper left side of the concretion. Possibly just a suggestive fracture. I agree with Ralph that it looks wormy, but a bit wide for my taste also, even as polychaete worms go.

3. Coprolite, possibly -- Possibly just a jumble of poorly-defined detritus or forest floor debris.

Thank you, fellas so much! This is very helpful to me. I’m actually excited by the idea of possibly having a Carboniferous coprolite, though I have no idea who might have made it.  

14 minutes ago, Sizev_McJol said:

Thank you, fellas so much! This is very helpful to me. I’m actually excited by the idea of possibly having a Carboniferous coprolite, though I have no idea who might have made it.  

Which animal made which coprolite in the Mazon Creek biota is something we can only guess at, but the odds of finding them are quite good. One of the more common things you'll find. Finding a specimen of what made one is much less likely. I don't know how long you've been collecting MC fossils, but you should know there are hundreds species of flora and fauna -- at least 500 -- so strap in and have fun.

• I found this Informative 2

Mark.

1 hour ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

Which animal made which coprolite in the Mazon Creek biota is something we can only guess at, but the odds of finding them are quite good. One of the more common things you'll find. Finding a specimen of what made one is much less likely. I don't know how long you've been collecting MC fossils, but you should know there are hundreds species of flora and fauna -- at least 500 -- so strap in and have fun.

Though I’ve lived nearby most of my life I only have had a few opportunities to collect fossils there, so my IDing skills are not the sharpest. I spend most of my time in the Silurian/Devonian period (for obvious logistical reasons), so I’m happy to learn about a new period and the flora and fauna to expect from them. 

1 minute ago, Sizev_McJol said:

Though I’ve lived nearby most of my life I only have had a few opportunities to collect fossils there, so my IDing skills are not the sharpest. I spend most of my time in the Silurian/Devonian period (for obvious logistical reasons), so I’m happy to learn about a new period and the flora and fauna to expect from them. 

Yeah, you gotta be careful with Mazon Creek material. It is soooo easy to become an MC addict as I did.

Mark.