Fossil or mud dauber nest ?

Rockwood

I recently moved some of my collection and noticed something loose on the bottom of the drawer under a barnacle. It's from a trip to the Calvert Cliffs in Maryland nine years ago. As I looked closer I noticed that they apparently came from inside two of the barnacles.

Is this a fossil that I had dismissed as matrix, or is it a modern insect addition ? 

IMG_5083a.jpg

IMG_5079.JPG

IMG_5082.JPG

IMG_5081.JPG

No guesses, or suggestions how to find out ?

It would be quite typical of me to not clean out what I believed to be matrix when I first collected it. I consider them to look more like a fossil that way. The color of the photo is likely red shifted. It was taken under an LED plant growing light.

My sense is that it is either a fossil or a modern sea creature that was sealed in by the odd shaped masses. 

13 hours ago, Rockwood said:

No guesses, or suggestions how to find out ?

It would be quite typical of me to not clean out what I believed to be matrix when I first collected it. I consider them to look more like a fossil that way. The color of the photo is likely red shifted. It was taken under an LED plant growing light.

My sense is that it is either a fossil or a modern sea creature that was sealed in by the odd shaped masses. 

I've seen similar things in our garage in boxes but not in any fossils I've got out there but they do sneak in occasionally and build their mini condos on the walls. 

I'd sit the barnacle cluster in a tub of water and soak and see if the tubes dissolve---muddauber tubes fall apart pretty easily when they get wet for awhile..might also show/expose any stored meals--caterpillars/spiders for the larvae and possibly if any were actually finished maybe an old pupa case.

Regards, Chris

• I found this Informative 1

6 hours ago, Rockwood said:

I tried soaking it. What ever it was it's sediment again now.  :shakehead:

So what kind of barnacles are they? Looks like the plates have been sheared a bit....

I am still getting rid of some of the local fossil/garage material...might actually have some that have some barnacles soil/matrix if you are into barnacles that you can try soaking/prepping/hunting for smaller inverts in...shoot me a pm if you want a number/pile of stuff to go thru...catch is I dont need anything/trades in return...im trying to downsize! :zen:

Regards, Chris 

45 minutes ago, Plantguy said:

So what kind of barnacles are they? Looks like the plates have been sheared a bit....

I am still getting rid of some of the local fossil/garage material...might actually have some that have some barnacles soil/matrix if you are into barnacles that you can try soaking/prepping/hunting for smaller inverts in...shoot me a pm if you want a number/pile of stuff to go thru...catch is I dont need anything/trades in return...im trying to downsize! :zen:

Regards, Chris 

Thanks, but part of the reason I was moving it was in an effort to get my collection organized enough to maybe start thinking about what I'm going to do with it all when I retire.

On 10/7/2019 at 11:21 AM, Rockwood said:

Thanks, but part of the reason I was moving it was in an effort to get my collection organized enough to maybe start thinking about what I'm going to do with it all when I retire.

Yep I'm there with you....way too much insignificant stuff!

Regards, Chris