My last fossil hunt in England

thelivingdead531

Things have been really hectic over the last month in preparation (and actual event) of our international move. We left England on 27 September and stayed in Denver, CO for a week. We are now in Cheyenne, WY for the next 4 years. :zen:

Before we left England I wanted to go on one last fossil hunt, and it was one of the best trips ever! On 23 Sept I set out for the beach at Bawdsey. It’s a mostly flint pebble beach with exposures of London Clay. It’s supposed to be good for shark teeth and it did not disappoint! Previously, I’ve only found up to 2 shark teeth at any location and that was on a miracle day. This day I found 10 and a quarter (that still counts, right?)! I found a few flint belemnites, or so they would appear. A lot of fossilized bone (the first I’ve ever found!). And some really pretty and sparkly chunks of pyrite. There is also a ton of pyritized wood, and some of the best preserved I’ve seen but I didn’t take any.

Every time I found a shark tooth I would squeal with excitement. I’m glad I had the beach to myself for the 3 hours because I sounded like a kid finding hidden Easter eggs. Needless to say it was an amazing fossil day. I already miss England so much and wish I were back. 

E002F8CA-5B23-46A5-BE5A-0D5EF5886C35.jpeg

95C66AE0-FC9E-4333-A4FB-27AE1C921A37.jpeg

82FBB80D-D299-47C2-89E1-15C5E80430A6.jpeg

3BD36FFE-7CE2-4163-8345-2C43BEE48534.jpeg

0CDA128F-1E32-4147-B350-3FDD679006B0.jpeg

6D01EB0E-9950-4172-B971-22BE73B9BC0F.jpeg

B6388E4E-F4BC-4EA0-9595-900B461857AE.jpeg

• I found this Informative 6

Nice finds and pics. I hope you find a fun place to hunt in the USA. 

Oh yes England is very special! good luck for the next years and congrads to the nice finds - some of the teeth are very nice!

Thank you both! I’m looking forward to new opportunities myself. I’ll be posting closeups of some of the teeth as soon as I figure out where I stashed them in my luggage!

Nice finds. Like the geology/beach shots alot...By any chance do you happen to know what caused the alternating layers in the boulders? Were there very thin beds/layers in the beach faces somewhere...Fossiliferous? 

5d9a71580f884_Beddinginblocksonbeach.jpg.213fc95b8fd6f1d60574fe9e8d6329e0.jpg

Good luck in the new locale, sounds exciting! We've done several moves over the years and usually ended up on either US coast somewhere.. aside from the job changes saw it as an opportunity to see new things and people and get rid of some of the hoarding we do too much of down here...

Regards, Chris 

23 hours ago, Plantguy said:

By any chance do you happen to know what caused the alternating layers in the boulders? Were there very thin beds/layers in the beach faces somewhere...Fossiliferous? 

Sorry, I don’t know. As far as I know there are the Red Crag cliffs that sit on top of the London Clay. Both are very fossiliferous but neither form boulders. I’m fairly certain that the boulders were brought in from somewhere else to stop with the coastal erosion that is happening rapidly along the Suffolk and Norfolk coasts. 

• I found this Informative 1