Mazonia (Blob) fossils, please help ID

Thomas J. Corcoran

I actually went to Mazon creek for once, however I’m quite new there so I need some help identifying what I found

E1926092-35E3-4E7F-9A97-C88BD163D765.jpeg

Edited by Thomas J. Corcoran

Pictures are too blurry to see any details.  :( 

Please try taking pictures in diffused sunlight/daylight. 

Make sure you are not too close to the fossil. 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

9 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

Pictures are too blurry to see any details.  :( 

Please try taking pictures in diffused sunlight/daylight. 

Make sure you are not too close to the fossil. 

Ok, I will retake the pictures right now

3 minutes ago, connorp said:

I’m not seeing any fossils here. Well, maybe fossils, but just indeterminate blobs at best.

I agree, I am not seeing anything- but keep collecting, stuff is out there.

Yes definitely don’t give up hope. Took me 4 trips before I started consistently finding nodules, and another two trips after that before I started finding fossils. They’re out there, just takes some work.

Those look very much like the ones found around Monster Lake. They were something before the fossilization process started but the process probably wasn't fast enough in this case to preserve any detail. Therefore, undefined blobs or merely color changes in the matrix. Most probably were soft-bodied creatures (no bones or exoskeleton) that just weren't well preserved, and although some Mazon Creek fossils exhibit exceptionally detailed preservation this is not true of all. You will eventually find levels of preservation all the way from omg to wtf and everything in between. This bright side of this trip is that you are definitely picking up the right type of material. Now you need to take it to the next step and become more selective. You are now familiar with some of the material that does not have fossils most of the time (although you want to pick it up just in case), and can concentrate your search for the more ideally shaped concretions. Search Mazon Creek on this forum and look at the photos of concretions as they appear before splitting, especially in Ralph's (Nimravis's) posts. You will find the right stuff where you found these specimens -- but you need to get to the areas that others cannot easily get to. You need to search the spots where a rabbit would find the going really hard. In other words, if someone else had an easy time getting there it has been picked over multiple times. It will also be better in Spring once the rains and snow runoff and winter heave have brought new material to the surface. The season on state fossil hunting areas (Mazonia) begins March 1st, and if you're not the first one there you won't find much. The season ends October 1st. Check on the state of Illinois website for additional info. I've stated this as others have, knock on doors, ring some doorbells, talk to people at local bars and restaurants. Hunting on private property is priceless, but be absolutely sure you have the owner's permission, in writing if it is a property remote from the owner's residence. Look for new construction sites and ask for permission to look around. Check with the state to find out if any areas are scheduled for reclamation in the near future and be the first one there.

My story is pretty much the same as everyone else's here. Third or fourth trip I started find better quality material. The collection area is vast when all the private land is included --150 square kilometers, and that's only the area that was strip mined. Developing a feel for its subtleties takes some time. As with everything experience trumps ability. MC is one of those places where you have to put in some time and pay your dues before you can reap the benefits, but it is worth every second of research and hauling of heavy rocks. The results are an "OH YES!!!" proposition.

P.S. -- don't dig, it's wasted time. You'll find much more just picking up what is already exposed.

Edited by Mark Kmiecik
added post script
  • I found this Informative 3

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!