Fossil1632

Not an ID question (yet) but does anyone know if/where we can hunt fossils in Indiana or KY? Say off i65 or on the way to Smokey mountains? I’ve heard road cuts are good, but are they legal to hunt? What about quarries? Thanks 

Moved to Questions and Answers

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

There should be lots of fossils in that area. You can't park on interstates, but the small side roads may be fair game. Some others will probably chime in with suggestions. Any quarry you find in that area could be worth it if you can get permission. Make sure you have your own hard hat if you want to hunt at quarries.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

I haven’t been as active this week as I usually am. Sorry for the late response... :( 

I’m not in the business of giving out legal advice, so take what I say at your own risk, but as far as I am aware, road cuts are legal to hunt in Kentucky. However, you would need to hunt somewhere else besides i65. Being an interstate, all but emergency stopping is prohibited, as well as, non motor vehicles (bicycles) and pedestrians. 

There are many commercial quarries in the area, but I don’t know of any that allow individuals to hunt. I believe a few may allow large groups from time to time.  

Most of the places I hunt are not near the interstate, and you would need to drive out of the way, but I have heard of a few spots that are fairly close. I can PM you and point you in a relatively close direction. ;)

• I found this Informative 1

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

Another option to consider would be to join a local rock/fossil club in either of those states as they may be go on group trips, which may introduce you to some sites off the proverbial beaten path. In addition, some clubs organize trips to gain access to quarries that would otherwise be off-limits to the solo collector. 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer