Happy Birthday T rex & Albertosaurus

Troodon

On Saturday Oct 5,  Tyrannosaurus rex celebrated its 114 birthday when it was formally named by H F Osborne in his 1905 paper:

Osborn, H. F. (1905). "Tyrannosaurus and other Cretaceous carnivorous dinosaurs". Bulletin of the AMNH. 21 (14): 259–265. hdl:2246/1464. Retrieved October 6, 2008.

Screenshot_20191007-050648.jpg.6881ef0cab770c76a8e57238709f868c.jpg

One little known fact was that Albertosaurus sarcophagus was also formally named on the last page of that paper based on this skull.

EGJunKzXUAAVzYC.jpeg.8219f3889c460cc0775f4385494301a6.jpeg

• I found this Informative 7

Happy 114th to these two tyrannosaurids  :yay-smiley-1:

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

Q. Where do dinosaurs study?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

20191007_063801.png

Unfortunately the man in this picture was quickly devoured moments after this was taken and isn't celebrating anything.  :(

The figure says "The association of the small forearm is probably incorrect." I take that to mean the author thought such a small forearm was ridiculous for such a beast? :heartylaugh:

5 hours ago, caldigger said:

20191007_063801.png

Unfortunately the man in this picture was quickly devoured moments after this was taken and isn't celebrating anything.  :(

Looks like that man had problems well before the illustration considering he's just bones!

3 hours ago, connorp said:

The figure says "The association of the small forearm is probably incorrect." I take that to mean the author thought such a small forearm was ridiculous for such a beast? :heartylaugh:

A view that was held for quite some time...

• I found this Informative 1

• Fossildude19 changed the title to Happy Birthday T rex & Albertosaurus
2 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Looks like that man had problems well before the illustration considering he's just bones!

Yes he really could have used some birthday cake. nice post thank you

Albertosaurus had been known to science for years before it was described as new in 1905, with Lawrence Lambe attributing it to the dubious tyrannosaur species Laelaps incrassatus (based on teeth from Montana). Osborn finally recognized that L. incrassatus was indeterminate and dubious, so he coined Albertosaurus for the skulls found in Canada in the 1880s.

Happy 114th Birthday to these two awesome theropods!! :)