Looking for fossil sites in Central/Northeast Texas area?

steffi233

My daughter and I are looking for new fossil-finding adventures in central and Northeast Texas. We have already been numerous times to Ladonia, Sherman and Mineral Wells. We also like to hunt for arrowheads! 

People tend to be secretive of their fossil spots...

That said, I like to cross reference a geological map with Google Maps (satellite) to find rock formation exposures. Also, Canyon Lake near San Antonio is a well known fossil spot. 

• I found this Informative 2

It's understandable that people are protective of locations that they have found. My daughter and I are just looking for educational adventures, though, not to excavate or exploit the natural resources. 

35 minutes ago, steffi233 said:

It's understandable that people are protective of locations that they have found. My daughter and I are just looking for educational adventures, though, not to excavate or exploit the natural resources. 

That may be true, but publishing lesser known spots on a public forum insures greater negative consequences for those sites.

;)

• I found this Informative 5

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

You should consider joining one of the local paleontological societies.  Both the Paleontological Society of Austin and the Dallas Paleontological Society run monthly field trips and those are great opportunities to both go collecting AND gleam helpful information from other members.

I am the current president of the Austin group and would love to invite you to our next meeting on the 15th.

I don't know the Dallas schedule but you can find everything you need to know on the websites.

In addition both clubs have annual shows, Fossilmania October 25-27 and Fossil Fest November 2 & 3.  The shows are also great places to meet other enthusiasts and learn more about local paleo.

https://austinpaleo.org

https://www.dallaspaleo.org

• I found this Informative 4

Ladonia and Sherman are both great for fossils and artifacts. To be honest that entire area is. I drive from Tyler TX and hunt every creek and river in that area. Look through my gallery to see examples of some of my finds. 

Yes, we have gone to Whiskey Bridge. That was one of our first few hunts. Forgot all about that one, thanks!

2 hours ago, JarrodB said:

Ladonia and Sherman are both great for fossils and artifacts. To be honest that entire area is. I drive from Tyler TX and hunt every creek and river in that area. Look through my gallery to see examples of some of my finds. 

Great pics! You have quite the collection.

After hitting all the well known sites around Texas as a newb, my next level satisfaction came from studying geo maps, satellite photos, and old papers to find spots with no footprints.  Takes time, effort, and fuel, but worth it in my opinion.  If I could do it all over again, I would have begun exploring earlier.

• I found this Informative 5

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

6 hours ago, steffi233 said:

We're out of Houston...

OK, Houston Gem and Mineral Society has a strong Paleo group that has knowledgeable welcoming folks, excellent publications on Texas fossils with locations and field trips.  Go straight to HGMS, do not pass Go (This is a Monopoly game reference.  Does anyone still know this reference?) and join this group to meet your request. 

Oh, I feel terrible. Based on the sites you mentioned I assumed you were closer to Austin or Dallas. Definitely join the Houston club. 

5 hours ago, grandpa said:

Houston Gem and Mineral Society has a strong Paleo group that has knowledgeable welcoming folks, excellent publications on Texas fossils with locations and field trips. 

That sounds perfect. Thank you so much!

5 hours ago, erose said:

Oh, I feel terrible. Based on the sites you mentioned I assumed you were closer to Austin or Dallas.

We'll travel just about anywhere for fossils! The Houston area is void, as far as I know, so road trips are our only option.

7 hours ago, Uncle Siphuncle said:

Texas as a newb, my next level satisfaction came from studying geo maps, satellite photos, and old papers to find spots with no footprints.  Takes time, effort, and fuel, but worth it in my opinion.

I do have a geological map, but will need a lot more study time than the few days I have before our trip this weekend. I'm a bit confused with reading the map, too. I did also follow our planned roadtrip route on Google's satellite map to try to find creeks and outcrops along the way and found a couple of new areas to explore. 

Thank you to everyone for your advice. I don't know how to navigate the forum yet, but want to be sure to say thanks.