Shark Teeth (Myrtle Beach)

nathan.dugan

Hello again,

I’m sure you all get tired of IDing so many shark teeth. However I’m not confident enough in my ability to properly identify these myself. I found them years back when I was at Myrtle Beach, SC.

Thinking bottom right is sand tiger due to the upward curve. Bottom left lemon shark? Not sure about the rest. (I thought I knew at one point, but that was a long time ago.)

Also, is there any way of getting an approximate age?

Thanks,

Nate

2650D9B8-60B4-46C7-AEBE-1685CD0C6484.jpeg

B6308F97-4E74-4619-9388-755316AB4028.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

The top two teeth are requiem shark teeth (Carcharhinus sp.) These are informally called bully/dusky teeth.

I believe you are right that bottom left is a lemon shark tooth. 

• I found this Informative 2

48 minutes ago, Praefectus said:

The top two teeth are requiem shark teeth (Carcharhinus sp.) These are informally called bully/dusky teeth.

I believe you are right that bottom left is a lemon shark tooth. 

Thanks so much.

The bottom two may be lemon sharks, but if under magnification they have serrations then they are not lemon.

Also you mentioned sand tiger for the bottom right. If you look at sand tiger teeth, you will notice a ‘Y’ like root. Lemon shark roots tend to be straight, like a ‘T’.

• I found this Informative 1

6 minutes ago, Searcher78 said:

The bottom two may be lemon sharks, but if under magnification they have serrations then they are not lemon.

Thanks. Interesting info about the serrations. Maybe I’ll bust out the old microscope and take a closer look. 

3 minutes ago, Searcher78 said:

Also you mentioned sand tiger for the bottom right. If you look at sand tiger teeth, you will notice a ‘Y’ like root. Lemon shark roots tend to be straight, like a ‘T’.

You’re absolutely right about the sand shark thing. The reason I was initially inclined towards that guess is because (and it doesn’t show in either of the pictures) the blade of the tooth actually has a strong outward curve in a similar manner to a sand shark tooth.