Dromaeosaurus Teeth?

Joebiwan3

Ive been looking for a true dromaeosaurus tooth for a while now. Ive only been able to grab acheroraptor. Does anyone know of a reputable site or seller selling any?

Dromaeosaurus albertensis......i see teeth posted on various websites that say dromaeosaurus from the hell creek formation but from what ive read the only 2 from the hell creek formation are acheoraptor and dakotahraptor am i right?

16 hours ago, Joebiwan3 said:

Dromaeosaurus albertensis......i see teeth posted on various websites that say dromaeosaurus from the hell creek formation but from what ive read the only 2 from the hell creek formation are acheoraptor and dakotahraptor am i right?

Lots of sellers are clueless in the proper identification of isolated teeth, most are Nanotyrannus but you are correct only Acheroraptor  and Dakotaraptor.  You need to be looking for teeth from the Judith River Formation in Montana if you want a D. albertensis other than those from Alberta.  Please post any interest here since most are not properly identified.  Unfortunately they dont come up often with sellers definitely hard to find.  

• I found this Informative 2

17 hours ago, Joebiwan3 said:

I would also suggest taking the time to study published examples of Dromaeosaurus teeth and really familiarize yourself with the characteristics. You’ll avoid the misinformation and misidentifications which are common. Use the forum of course but it helps to do your own homework with Theropod teeth. @Troodon is not joking when he says they don’t come up for sale often. It took me awhile to find mine. 

• I found this Informative 1

@fossilsonwheels if u dont mind me asking where did u eventually find yours? Right now ive been on fossilera, indiana9fossils and jurassic dreams....anywhere else worth looking at?

When you find a potential one do not rely on his ID or just a photo.  Please ask the seller for a serration density count 5 mm wide, if possible, mid tooth of both carina.  They should be different.   If you can post the info here before you buy please do so.  Also as part of the provenance you need the state and county to verify it's from the JRF.

1 hour ago, Joebiwan3 said:

@fossilsonwheels if u dont mind me asking where did u eventually find yours? Right now ive been on fossilera, indiana9fossils and jurassic dreams....anywhere else worth looking at?

I got mine from the first of the three sources you mentioned but it wasn’t labeled as a Dromaeosaurus. It was labeled as Theropod but it was from the right formation and I knew what to look for primarily because of posts by @Troodon. I did exactly what he is saying to do. I got the serration density info and then had him verify my ID. Follow his advice, use the forum, educate yourself as best you can and be patient. You’ll find one but it takes time. 

Points out why it's hard to find them, you really need to be a detective since most sellers are clueless on smaller teeth.   @fossilsonwheels was persistent, did the research on what they looked like and knew what questions to ask.  He lucked out but he made his luck.

@Troodon @fossilsonwheelsthanks again guys.. im going to try and familiarize myself with them as best i can and ill post a specimen here before i buy one so u guys can check it out b4 i purchase if u dont mind. Appreciate all the feedback and the quick responses......side note u guys ever come across any deinonychus teeth since you've been collecting? 

Edited by Joebiwan3

6 minutes ago, Joebiwan3 said:

@Troodon @fossilsonwheelsthanks again guys.. im going to try and familiarize myself with them as best i can and ill post a specimen here before i buy one so u guys can check it out b4 i purchase if u dont mind. Appreciate all the feedback and the quick responses......side note u guys ever come across any deinonychus teeth since you've been collecting? 

I haven’t been collecting dinosaur stuff all that long so my knowledge is still limited  but I believe they are quite rare. I’ve seen two on the market. One sold fast, the other is ridiculously expensive in my opinion. 

Several folks here have examples in their collection so you can find them. I believe Cloverly Formation fossils are pretty rare in general. 

Check out Troodons Jurassic Park post about his Cloverly Formation collection. 

@TroodonWhats this look like to u guys? Its labeled as dromaeosaurus from hell creek formation...could this be dakotaraptor? Or nanotyrannus?.

20191007_211456.jpg

Looks like a Nanotyrannus tooth. 

To ID a Dakotaraptor  tooth you cannot look at a single photo.  

This is what is needed from sellers:

Crown Height - CH

Crown Base Length - CBL

Crown Base Width - CBW

Distal Serration Count - midline 2-5 mm wide depending on size of tooth

Mesial Serration Count - midcarina 1-3 mm wide depending on size of tooth

Photo of both sides 

Photo of mesial carina 

Photo of base

Closeup of denticles

Unfortunately we do not know what  Deltadromeus teeth look like.    No skull has ever been recovered with teeth.   The photo is not the best to ID but its probably an indeterminate Abelisaurid.  BTW Deltadromeus has no relationship to Dromaeosaurids.  See how nuch is misidentified.....

Yeah theres alot of misinformation out there. Hooefully soon ill post my whole collection and u guys can see if anything i purchased over the years was mis labled.

3 minutes ago, Joebiwan3 said:

This is a tough one. Says dromaeosaur from the judith river formation. Owner has not replied as of yet. @Troodon @fossilsonwheels any idea of possibility of what it could be from?

Looks like a tyrannosaurid indet. from JRF

It isn't recurved or slim enough to be a dromaeosaur

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

14 hours ago, Joebiwan3 said:

This is a tough one. Says dromaeosaur from the judith river formation. Owner has not replied as of yet. @Troodon @fossilsonwheels any idea of possibility of what it could be from?

Screenshot_20191009-224933_eBay.jpg

To be honest, I really can’t be of much use in identifying Theropod teeth. I am still relatively new. I know to study up on what specific things I am looking for and I use the forum. There are many folks here who are much better resources for ID assistance. I would agree with @-Andy- and @Troodon that this isn’t a Dromaeosaur tooth. 

Have you considered Saurornitholestes as a potential Dromaeosaur to collect ? Their teeth have very distinct serration denticles and you can find them on the market. They also come out of the Judith River Formation. That is what I started my collection with. 

Here is some info to help identify JRF  Dromaeosaurus teeth , they are not like other Dromaeosaurids which are flat and strongly recurved.    You cannot identify these teeth off of photos alone.

Maxillary/Dentary Teeth

• Denticles are almost as high as they are wide and slightly distally oriented toward the tip.  See attachment photo
  • Anterior carina has a distinctive  twist
  • Density of the denticles of anterior carina is much greater than posterior ones...measured over a 5mm length mid carina

Screenshot_20161002-081717.thumb.jpg.d638b0f1fef144fe4ed1edcaaa2aad96.jpg

Typically when "sp" is used there are multiple species like Triceratops horridus or T.  prorsus and you dont know which one your specimen belongs to, So Triceratops sp. can be used.    With Dromaeosaurus there is only one species so if its used by a seller you should ask him.     Indeterminate "indet." can be used when the genus or species is not known.  It's common when using family names "Dromaeosaurid indet."

To add on to what Frank said.

Family = Dromaeosauridae

Genus = Dromaeosaurus

Species = Dromaeosaurus albertensis

indet. = Family-only usage > Dromaeosauridae indet. (I know that this belongs in the Dromaeosauridae family, but the genus is indeterminate)

sp. = Genus-only usage > Dromaeosaurus sp. (I know that this belongs to the Dromaeosaurus genus, but I have no idea what species)

Example 1 = cf. Tyrannosauridae indet. (This tooth is comparable to other tyrannosaur teeth)

Example 2 = ? Tyrannosauridae indet. (I have very good reason to think this is a tyrannosaur tooth)

Example 3 = Tyrannosauridae indet. (I know this is a tyrannosaur tooth, but I have no idea what genus it is)

Example 4 = cf. Daspletosaurus sp. (I know that this is a tyrannosaur tooth and the tooth is comparable to the Daspletosaurus genus)

Example 5 = ? Daspletosaurus sp. (I know this is a tyrannosaur tooth, and I have very good reason to think it is the Daspletosaurus genus)

Example 6 = Daspletosaurus sp. (I know that this is a tyrannosaur tooth in the Daspletosaurus genus, but the species is unknown or unidentified yet)

Example 7 = Daspletosaurus cf. horneri (I know this is definitely of the Daspletosaurus genus and the tooth is comparable to the D. horneri species)

Example 8 = ? Daspletosaurus horneri (I know this is definitely of the Daspletosaurus genus, and I have very good reason to think it is the D. horneri species.)

Example 9 = Daspletosaurus horneri (I know for sure this is the exact species)

The examples go by sliding scale of "sure-ness". In short, ? Tyrannosauridae indet. means I am more sure of this than cf. Tyrannosauridae indet.

• I found this Informative 3

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!