rachelgardner01

I don't put much into small fragments once have learned what they are.  They just go into a bucket at my house to use for practicing cleaning fossils or part for later.  Maybe some sort of Frank in fossil art piece. Lol  I recently went back and looked through this bucket to see if I had some  bits from a fossil someone else found and needed the rest of.  No luck, but I did come across this guy.  I believe it is a dipleura eye.  Gosh darn it trilobite fossils are so beautiful in their preservation! I can only imagine that someone found most of him, is missing the eye. A real shame. Please let me know if this is your eye.

20191008_174943.jpg

Last time I was at DSR I found a complete, fairly large Dipleura cephalon in a rock. Unfortunately it was upside down and already fragile from weathering. I suppose if I applied some stabilizer I might have saved it, but I didn't, and when I attempted to remove it it broke into pieces I felt weren't worth recovering. I already have a number of complete Dipleura cephalons. That looks like it could be one of the pieces. Earlier in my career I definitely would have kept it. If it is the same one I'm glad it is now part of your collection. Good luck.  

• I found this Informative 1

Definitely a cool looking trilo-bit. :)  

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

2 hours ago, Jeffrey P said:

Last time I was at DSR I found a complete, fairly large Dipleura cephalon in a rock. Unfortunately it was upside down and already fragile from weathering. I suppose if I applied some stabilizer I might have saved it, but I didn't, and when I attempted to remove it it broke into pieces I felt weren't worth recovering. I already have a number of complete Dipleura cephalons. That looks like it could be one of the pieces. Earlier in my career I definitely would have kept it. If it is the same one I'm glad it is now part of your collection. Good luck.  

I'm trying really hard not to be a rock quarter actually. Lol  I don't wanna keep him I'm hoping that someone has the majority of the body and I can send him home to them. DSR has been kicking my butt! I really want to find a half decent Dipleura my self there, but I am not sure where to dig. 

Twice I've been to DSR and witnessed other people find complete Dipleuras lying out in the open. That is a very rare occurrence to say the least. I found a small complete one last year. Generally a lot of digging and luck is involved in finding those. Those rocks with trace fossils and the ones that are crowded with shells are unlikely to produce complete or almost complete Dipleura. Just keep looking.

I guess that's just how it goes.  -_-. More digging! Lol I have a 36 inch pribar coming in the mail to help me work  through a layer of bedrock. I will not be stopped! 

I don't think there is a specific area or place to dig for them there.  I tend to find more Greenops in the lower section, and more Eldredgeops in the upper section.

But the Dipleura come from everywhere, there. :shrug:

I have seen them come from that middle section bottom shelf. I've seen them found on the far right. 

Found one myself on the far left and a small partial on the far right. I've also seen them come from the Central section, second level. 

They've been found by digging, and just laying around.  

So I think it is a matter of them being distributed fairly evenly throughout, and finding one is a luck of the draw kind of thing. 

Good luck! You have the right spirit to get one of those guys someday. :)

large.gallery_2806_718_112003.jpg  gallery_2806_718_554817.jpg

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Thanks Rachel, Not my eye but beautiful image ...and while you're holding it in one hand!! What are you using to take the picture? If that is your phone camera, might be time for me to upgrade!