Petrified wood?

PODIGGER

Picked this up from the Peace River last week.  Started to toss it to the bank thinking - another piece of dugong - then I noticed striations on all sides and both ends.  They don't appear to be cross - hatch (Schreger-Patterns) but raised my curiosity to a level that made me keep it in the hopes of an ID.  The lines are hard to see in the photos but are dashes  (- - - - - - ) in most cases and sometimes form a vee pattern.  Any input would be appreciated.

_88I7180.jpeg  _88I7182.jpeg  _88I7183.jpeg

_88I7184.jpeg  _88I7186.jpeg  

Peat Burns - My secret hope is for ivory!

Rockwood - My wife (the professional photographer) reduced the pics to meet the site posting requirements.  I just asked her to try and increase the size for a better view.  She is giving it a try.  I'll repost what she comes up with.

Thanks for the responses!

Sure looks like there is crosshatching in some of those views...What phenomenal color! very neat. 

Regards, Chris 

It's weird how some fossil ivory will be pale, pulpy and poorly preserved. While other pieces will be dark, well-preserved, and quite robust. This piece appears to be one of the latter. I've seen both in close proximity to each other.

Thanks for the input gentlemen.  I agree it does have some cross hatching, I was hesitating to believe i had gotten so lucky!  As far as how robust it is, I found I needed to stop brushing with a soft toothbrush to remove some grime.  Pieces started to chip off!  I am in the process of letting it dry before trying to preserve it.