crinoids near Bowling Green Ky

paphgrl

I am looking for crinoid sites near BG Ky. I am new here. I found my first ever crinoid in landscape gravel and am obsessed! 

Hope its OK to ask this?

Hello and WELCOME to TFF from Austin, Tx.  It's great to have you aboard.  Crinoids should indeed come with a warning label that says WARNING:  can be addictive.

19 minutes ago, paphgrl said:

Hope its OK to ask this?

It is perfectly fine to ask for locales to find crinoids near Bowling Green, KY.  The trick comes in the answering.  Folks are reluctant to give up prize sites with low productivity or rare finds, especially on a global forum site.  Such dispensing of site information would fast lead to an over-hunted, stripped site and thus spoil the enjoyment of those who might currently know of the site and collect it responsibly. 

That having been said, perhaps someone who does know of such a site and is willing to share it with you will PM you with the information rather than share the info with the world. 

But that might not happen. So . . .

Your best bet is to do some research yourself and determine where you might find crinoids in streambeds, roadcuts, building sites, etc. in the area.  The first step would be to know the age of the crinoids you hope to find (e.g., Carboniferous?) and look at a geological map of Kentucky to find out where that age rock is exposed.

Next, you might want to utilize the resources already at hand on TFF.  Click on home at the top of the page.  This will take you to the "home page", a resource in itself that you will want to familiarize yourself with.  Scroll down about 2/3 of the way and you will find a locations section.  Go to USA and click on Kentucky.  This will provide you with past posts regarding KY.

After you've looked thru those, scroll a little lower on the "home page" to the media section and check out "Fossil Literature".  Then go to the Documents section and check out Fruit-Bat's library.  He has listed a number of resources for Kentucky there, including:  Greb, S.F., et al. (2008). Mud Mounds, Paleoslumps, Crinoids and More; the Geology of the Fort Payne Formation at Lake Cumberland, south-central Kentucky. Field Trip for the Kentucky Chapter of the American Institute of Professional Geologists. (Thanks to doushantuo for locating this one!)

Having absorbed that resource, you might want to expand your search to the Kentucky Geological Survey Publications and the USGS Publications Warehouse.  Many of the journal articles discussing fossils also include locations where found.

Now that you know Kentucky, you might next want to repeat this whole for each of Kentucky's neighboring states.

When you're done with that, if you want more ideas for where to look, just post us again.

And again, a big WELCOME.

• I found this Informative 6

welcome,I will msg you some info

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Firstly, Hello and welcome! :) 

Tom ( @grandpa )has some sound advice! The hunt for fossil sites can be very time consuming and labor intensive. Most of us have researched, driven to, scouted, asked permission, etc. to finally get access to some of these sites. When you put that much work into it, it’s very hard just to give out location information. For example, I recently, after hours of research, a 2 hour drive one way, and 5 failed stops, finally found a productive Ordovician layer I had been looking for. I’ve done all this and more looking for a Silurian exposure that is near me and have come up empty handed. 

That being said, fossil collecting is an exhilarating thing, and for most of us here, it’s hard to pass up an opportunity to share our hobby/passion with others. I don’t know of any specific crinoid heavy locations near Bowling Green (I’m sure there are some!), but if you ever come up to E-town (Elizabethtown), I can show you a site full of crinoids that I wouldn’t mind sharing. It would take years and years of very heavy collecting to exhaust. 

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

• 4 years later...
On 10/10/2019 at 5:24 PM, paphgrl said:

I am looking for crinoid sites near BG Ky. I am new here. I found my first ever crinoid in landscape gravel and am obsessed! 

Hope its OK to ask this?

We have 10 acres of land and a plethora of places to collect them by the hundreds as well as limestone that is formed with hundreds within the stones. You are welcome to come out and get as many as you would like in Campbellsville it approximately 1 hr from bowling green. You can find me by using the PM system.