Agatized and found amongst dinosaur fossils (looks like a "brain")

GrandJunction

I put "brain" in quotes because I obviously know it isn't one, but helps describe its physical appearance.  Although, maybe it is??? Lol.

No idea what this might be.  Found on my ranchland, western Colorado, amongst other dinosaur fossils on the surface.  Appears to be agatized.  It's in the shape that I found it and assume the entire piece would be a sphere.  

I was thinking some sort of coral, but due to the other dinosaur fossils in the immediate area, I'm wondering if it might be something dinosaur related.

Pictures taken wet.  

Any guesses?

Thanks

20191011_130642_resized(1).jpg

20191011_130629_resized(1).jpg

20191011_130636_resized(1).jpg

20191011_130645_resized(1).jpg

Edited by GrandJunction
Details

30 minutes ago, GrandJunction said:

Appears to be agatized

Indeed, it is a nice specimen of an agate nodule with a botroidal surface.  Love the, blue, purple red coloring.

Whether it is agatized coral, I can't tell.  Sawing or grinding a flat surface on the broken side would better expose the "cell structure", if there is any.  From the photo, and the distortion of the pattern from the uneven fracture leaves my eyes unsure.

• I found this Informative 1

2 minutes ago, grandpa said:

Indeed, it is a nice specimen of an agate nodule with a botroidal surface.  Love the, blue, purple red coloring.

Thanks gramps!

Looks really cool in person.  Colors much more vivid.  

40 minutes ago, GrandJunction said:

Found on my ranchland, western Colorado, amongst other dinosaur fossils on the surface.

I want ranchland in W. Co. with dino fossils on the surface.:envy:

Seriously, that sounds really nice.  I also really liked the agatized "gem bone" you showed in your other post.  Not THAT could be sawed and polished!  :thumbsu:

Just now, grandpa said:

I want ranchland in W. Co. with dino fossils on the surface.:envy:

Seriously, that sounds really nice.  I also really liked the agatized "gem bone" you showed in your other post.  Not THAT could be sawed and polished!  :thumbsu:

Thanks!  

Multiple acres next to Riggs Hill and just south of Dinosaur Hill.  I'm new to the property and I'm sure it's been picked over over the years.  However, erosion doesn't stop, so you never know what Mother Nature is going to reveal.  Plenty of wash areas and steep terrain.  Fingers crossed I might find something amazing one day, but everything so far looks like it's been blasted out of a cannon!

• I found this Informative 1

I'd like to cast a vote for a cool looking piece of gem bone. It appears very worn to the point of really accentuating the cell structure.  But it looks similar to many gem bone pieces I have.  For what it's worth, my two cents. :)