Asking for suggestions between Panama City Florida and Orlando

Maxsg

Hey guys I’m driving back from Panama City to Orlando Florida on Tuesday for work and wanted to ask if anyone has any suggestions for a spot I could stop off at on my drive home to go look for teeth or other fossils. Need to scratch that fossil itch. Land sites are probably my best bet for the hour I’ll have but I could stop by a river. Any suggestions would help. I’m obviously not asking for major spots as I also keep mine secret. Love to here from you guys. 

Hi Max, I see nobody has replied yet, so I thought I would throw something out there that may be useful if you have not heard about it yet.

I don't know any spots in that area at all and I have zero experience hunting in that neck of the woods. However, I could once say the same for my current stomping grounds that I know like the back of my hand. One of the tools that has proved very useful to me is the Google Scholar search utility. This will search academic papers and scientific journals. You can get creative with the search queries and get some very useful results. I have stumbled across informative maps and reports in this way and it has given me a few leads on places to search. For example, a spot that has not been mentioned on the open world wide web, might be mentioned in some old obscure research paper. Or, a report about the karst geology of springs in the area might mention fossils as a small part of the overall study. A lot of the resulting papers and journals are free to download, although some have a paywall and you  might need J-Stars access or something similar (not an issue if you are a student).

Example query "Orlando Florida Fossils" - https://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&as_sdt=0%2C10&q=orlando+florida+fossils&btnG=

Note, a lot of the results will be irrelevant or not useful, but you can find some gems if you wade deep into the results.

Good luck!

• I found this Informative 1

Keep in mind that the landscape of the Panhandle area suffered serious rearrangement by Hurricane Michael.  Many former localities along streams and rivers have disappeared, though of course new ones might have popped up.  Hopefully a local can offer you some suggestions.

Don

On 10/12/2019 at 10:35 AM, Bone Daddy said:

Hi Max, I see nobody has replied yet, so I thought I would throw something out there that may be useful if you have not heard about it yet.

I don't know any spots in that area at all and I have zero experience hunting in that neck of the woods. However, I could once say the same for my current stomping grounds that I know like the back of my hand. One of the tools that has proved very useful to me is the Google Scholar search utility. This will search academic papers and scientific journals. You can get creative with the search queries and get some very useful results. I have stumbled across informative maps and reports in this way and it has given me a few leads on places to search. For example, a spot that has not been mentioned on the open world wide web, might be mentioned in some old obscure research paper. Or, a report about the karst geology of springs in the area might mention fossils as a small part of the overall study. A lot of the resulting papers and journals are free to download, although some have a paywall and you  might need J-Stars access or something similar (not an issue if you are a student).

Example query "Orlando Florida Fossils" - https://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&as_sdt=0%2C10&q=orlando+florida+fossils&btnG=

Note, a lot of the results will be irrelevant or not useful, but you can find some gems if you wade deep into the results.

Good luck!

Thank you @Bone Daddy Iv'e never really used this tactic. But I will give it a try. 

Well Fort Drum and Ruck's Pit are only about an hour south of Orlando via 441 So. exit off of the Florida Turnpike at Yeehaw junction, and well worth the trouble.  Shoot, knowing the scandalous history of Yeehaw is almost worth the trip itself.