Unidentified fossil

Frauke

Hello, I inherited a 3 inch fossil from my father and would love to know what it is.  I don't know where this fossil came from but it looks like some kind of barnacle or something similar.  It is brown rock on the bottom and crystallized on top.  I have attached several pictures and would be really grateful for any information.  Thank you!

Fossil 1.jpg

Fossil 3.jpg

Fossil 2.jpg

Fossil 4.jpg

Fossil 5.jpg

Fossil 6.jpg

Fossil 7.jpg

Looks like some sort of echinoid, to me. 

Worn and poorly preserved.  

INTRO2.jpg5da2125c2638c_Fossil3.jpg.55ac97577afbe977cbdc22c5444b23c7.jpg

Photo from HERE.

• I found this Informative 4

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

some of you may like:

The_infaunal_echinoid_Micraster_taphonom.pdf

geobios 41,2008

The infaunal echinoid Micraster: taphonomic pathways indicated by sclerozoan trace and body fossils from the Upper Cretaceous of Spain

Samuel Zamora,Eduardo Mayoral,Jose A Gamez Vintaned,Sergio Bajo,Eduardo Espilez*

all diacritics omitted

nebelsitvyy1rrwwuuew66w45545e000 (2).jpg

• I found this Informative 3

It may be worn, and the external features poorly preserved, but that is some beautifully crystallized internal structure! :wub:

• I found this Informative 2

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

Thank you so much to everyone for your comments, help, and information!  I really love this fossil and am excited to find out more about it.  :)

TbQ, I don't know what language it is either.  That's partly why I included the writing in the pictures. But I think one of the words kind of looks like Krakow, which is in Poland.  

1 minute ago, Frauke said:

TbQ, I don't know what language it is either.  That's partly why I included the writing in the pictures. But I think one of the words kind of looks like Krakow, which is in Poland.  

I noticed that one too. :) Echinocorys certainly is common in Poland. Maybe someone more linguistic will chime in - they don't all look like Roman characters. 

• I found this Informative 1

Tarquin

@Frauke Please send us another photo of the script that is better lit and has better detail. We probably can translate this.

B701889A-312B-4218-8403-8D988188B073.jpeg

Can you read any of this.  See next post for better photo. @Kasia

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

2 hours ago, DPS Ammonite said:

@Frauke Please send us another photo of the script that is better lit and has better detail. We probably can translate this.

I hope this is better.  Let me know if I need to re-do the picture.  Thanks!

Fossil Script.jpg

12 hours ago, DPS Ammonite said:

Can you read any of this.  See next post for better photo. @Kasia

9 hours ago, Frauke said:

I hope this is better.  Let me know if I need to re-do the picture.  Thanks!

Fossil Script.jpg

Hi,

it's not Polish - to me it looks like Greek alphabet - and the location seems to be Knossos, in Crete. The name of echinoid starts with "A" and ends with "tus" and then follows "Lam", like already someone pointed out. I hope it helps.

I think it's standard Roman script after all and says Ananchytes ovatus Lam. (not sure about the ending of the genus - maybe -ius or -yus, there are some variations but this is the commonest and is the correct one).

Kudos to @Dryptosaur!

Ananchytes Lamarck 1816 is a subjective junior synonym of Echinocorys Leske, 1778. 

Lamarck's type species was Echinocorys ovatus Leske 1778 -see link: NHM Ananchytes . 

This is now probably to be included in Echinocorys scutatus Leske 1778. NHM Echinocorys

The location could be a spelling of Kraków (Krackow?), which has Upper Cretaceous deposits.

At some point, someone has corrected the gender of the specific name.

So, Echinocorys scutata, maybe from Kraków, looks good . :)

Tarquin

This might be Echinocorys.

The reference /legenda are so far removed from this plate that is somewhat difficult to tell

echino1068lrtacztybrachu00 (2).jpg

16 hours ago, doushantuo said:

below:

(translated and possibly transliterated by yours truly:

A test of Echinocorys with incisions,their origin and sediment-petrographical meaning,with special reference to the origins of flint

106lrtaczbrachu00 (2).jpg

klahnechinoidtaphosilexsilicageochemPalaeobiologica_2_0251-0263.pdf

Rostock! That is where I was born!!! :o

@Frauke

This is an Upper Cretaceous echinoid Echinocorys. It seems to be a flint cast with a geopetal indicator structure. This special form of preservation among german collectors is called "Wabenigel", because of its honeycombstructure, resulting in a perimorphosis (or coating pseudomorphosis) of calcedony following (now dissolved) calcite crystals growing on the single calcites of the echinoid test plates.

Krakau is the old german spelling for Krakov, not Krackow or Krakow...

Best regards from my old (and new again) hometown Rostock...  :default_rofl: