Unidentified fossil

Frauke

Btw., regarding the state of preservation, spelling of the loc. (Krackow) and the style of lettering, I would think it is not from Krakau/Krakov(Poland), but from Krakow in Mecklenburg or Krackow in Western-Pommerania and was found (taken into the collection) between 1900 and 1950.

@Frauke   Your Family was in Rostock arround 1968? This specimen, esp. the lettering really looks like collection material from Rostock's old university collection from the Geology Department, which was liquidized with the third higher education reform of the former GDR, and their collections were mistreated and split to e.g. Greifswald and Berlin. Some University members keep specimen from the collection in that time.

• I found this Informative 6

On 14.10.2019 at 3:27 AM, Dryptosaur said:

Perhaps Ananchytes oratus  Lamarck

Anachytes* ovatus Lamark, Krackow

* old term for Echinocorys. Due to preservation stage it is hard to assign a species name seriously.

Some of the letters look like the writer has learned primary Sütterlin font, so a rough estmation of collecting (collectors youth time) time can be made.

• I found this Informative 4

15 hours ago, Johannes said:

Btw., regarding the state of preservation, spelling of the loc. (Krackow) and the style of lettering, I would think it is not from Krakau/Krakov(Poland), but from Krakow in Mecklenburg or Krackow in Western-Pommerania and was found (taken into the collection) between 1900 and 1950.

@Frauke   Your Family was in Rostock arround 1968? This specimen, esp. the lettering really looks like collection material from Rostock's old university collection from the Geology Department, which was liquidized with the third higher education reform of the former GDR, and their collections were mistreated and split to e.g. Greifswald and Berlin. Some University members keep specimen from the collection in that time.

My family is from Rostock.  Yes, my parents were born there and were there in 1968.  I wasn't yet :).  Not until 1970 anyway.  My father was a chemist at the University at that time and I think my mother told me that this fossil was given to him by a colleague.  So it makes sense that it came from Rostock's old university collection. Thank you so much for this information.  It is so exciting and fascinating to find this out.  My father was not a "good citizen" of the DDR if you know what I mean.  He was constantly hounded by the Stasi for suspicion of having Western books, trying to escape, or assisting others with trying to escape.  This forum is really incredible.  I am finding out so much!  I am so excited to hear from another Rostocker!  I have a whole big glass container full of Seeigel, Donnersteine and other fossils that my parents collected.  I just really wanted to know where he got this particular fossil from.  This forum posting has really connected me with my very young self in East Germany.  Thank you, this means so much to me!

Edited by Frauke
  • I found this Informative 3

What a great asset this forum is.  Here a fossil just connected a person with their past with the help of a lot of experts examining a fossil.  I may be sounding a bit smaltzy, but what the heck, that's really neat.  I feel so fortunate to be a part of TFF.

• I found this Informative 1

Joe,unbelievably fascinating and useful info there.

High praise for you for using your vast storehouse of knowledge . 

I tend to agree with Grandpa,there.

Ben

• I found this Informative 1