Time Lapse Prep

Ptychodus04

Over the years, people have asked for some prep videos. My new blast box allows me to conveniently set my phone on the glass and run a time lapse video. Unfortunately, the files are too big to post directly so the links below will take you to my Instagram where you can watch the riveting videos. :P They are short since this is a test.

Video

Video

• I found this Informative 15

2 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

you can watch the riveting videos. 

I watched both of those and didn't see you use rivets a single time!

I was hoping to learn a new prep technique, but was sorely disappointed.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

1 hour ago, snolly50 said:

I watched both of those and didn't see you use rivets a single time!

I was hoping to learn a new prep technique, but was sorely disappointed.

Well, I didn’t want to give all my secrets away! The worst part is that there’s a delamination immediately below the fish. I’m a braiding at <10 psi and I still burn through the fish in places. Thankfully, it’s not a pristine specimen. I do think I’ll be able to ID the fish in its gut. There’s a jaw with some pretty nasty looking teeth preserved.

1 hour ago, Ptychodus04 said:

Well, I didn’t want to give all my secrets away!

In the videos, once you uncover part of the fish, what is the liquid that you brush on, a resin  consolidant?

• I found this Informative 1

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

8 hours ago, DPS Ammonite said:

In the videos, once you uncover part of the fish, what is the liquid that you brush on, a resin  consolidant?

That is my consolidation solution (Paraloid B72 in acetone).

9 hours ago, Bobby Rico said:

I was just wondering how many hours work is them videos representing?

Each video is approximately 10 minutes (I think, I didn’t really keep track). This specimen is in insanely soft matrix. I’m running the abraider at 8 psi (any lower and it’s hard for my unit to pick up the media) and it is still ripping through the matrix at an amazing speed, so much so that even when I’m being super careful, it is blowing through the parts of the fish between the bones. :angry:

I almost left this fish in the quarry because the rock completely crumbled on me. Then, I decided to glue it to a piece of hard rock and hope it made the 1,300 miles back to Texas. Ultimately, I think it will be pretty cool. Besides the gut contents, there’s a Knightia under the tip of the Diplo’s tail.

• I found this Informative 3

Here are some pics of the teeth in the Diplo’s gut. I’m hoping to find a plausible ID but I don’t have any references showing decent images of teeth from the different fish in the GRF.

Here are the teeth at 10x

044A35B8-35E2-4A34-B325-4CED81F25A17.thumb.jpeg.06fdc28a9b80e2b955891a76451cba13.jpeg

Here they are at 20x

E517C4C0-3E5A-40EF-85E4-A1E8F87B9D0D.thumb.jpeg.5149f4b4977174f47d3d9b434cf55fce.jpeg

• I found this Informative 4

What blast media are you using in the videos?

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

That is super cool Kris!  Ive always wanted to do something like that but havent gotten around to it,,,,,,, yet.  :)       I myself have gone down to 25 psi but 8 psi?!!!    Thats one for the books?  Doing a bangup job my freind!!! 

RB

16 hours ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

What blast media are you using in the videos?

I'm using baking soda.

16 hours ago, RJB said:

That is super cool Kris!  Ive always wanted to do something like that but havent gotten around to it,,,,,,, yet.  :)       I myself have gone down to 25 psi but 8 psi?!!!    Thats one for the books?  Doing a bangup job my freind!!! 

RB

At 8 psi, my Vaniman blaster struggles to push a consistent flow of abrasive out of the pot and into the draw tube. It seems to pulse a bit so there's a definite rhythm to working with pressures so low. If you sit in one spot, the 2nd pulse of powder can burn through the super soft fish material. This fish came out of the really weathered stuff basically right next to where you had your truck parked. It is really delaminated and a nightmare to work with.

On 13/10/2019 at 11:57 PM, Ptychodus04 said:

almost left this fish in the quarry because the rock completely crumbled on me. Then, I decided to glue it to a piece of hard rock and hope it made the 1,300 miles back to Texas. Ultimately, I think it will be pretty cool. Besides the gut contents, there’s a Knightia under the tip of the Diplo’s tail.

That was a good call and a bit of luck .

They also look like teeth to me too. Tim is good with fish. Maybe he can help @Fossildude19

Here are a couple more videos. I actually paid more attention to the time that went into the time lapse. These are 30-40 minutes of prep for each video.

Video

Video

I'm wondering if these are vomerine or palatal teeth from a fish. 

Maybe something like Amia

Amia.jpg

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me