Time Lapse Prep

Ptychodus04

I've been dying to make time-lapse videos of my specimens. I work on micro vertebrates from the late Permian to early Triassic and have to use a microscope which makes position of a phone rather tricky! But your videos look awesome! And those teeth :wub: :envy: I love preparing teeth! Photos never do the small things justice! 

• I found this Informative 1

Tiffany

Uncovering the late Permian one fossil at a time 

An alternative low-key option would be to take photos of the specimen at various stages of the preparation and bundle them into an online GIF-maker. It won't show the preparator "at work" on the specimen, but does show the progress of the work that has been done from start to finish. 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

14 minutes ago, Kane said:

An alternative low-key option would be to take photos of the specimen at various stages of the preparation and bundle them into an online GIF-maker. It won't show the preparator "at work" on the specimen, but does show the progress of the work that has been done from start to finish. 

But be sure to keep your camera settings and specimen orientation the same for every picture to ensure the resulting .GIF doesn't jump around when it plays. This will save you a lot of headache later.

3 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

This will save you a lot of headache later.

Absolutely... and not to mention any headaches and eye strain experienced by those viewing a sequence that bounces and wobbles around!

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Amazing! I love fossil prep videos, especially of GRF fish! I would love to try my hand at it someday, I just need the money to start up and the courage to destroy the fossils. :default_rofl:

6 hours ago, thelivingdead531 said:

Amazing! I love fossil prep videos, especially of GRF fish! I would love to try my hand at it someday, I just need the money to start up and the courage to destroy the fossils. :default_rofl:

Ain’t it the truth? I’ve wrecked my share of fossils learning how to prep.

I recently saw the first GRF fish that I prepped for someone (15 years ago). It wasn’t horrible but it was a little embarrassing. :DOH:

14 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

Ain’t it the truth? I’ve wrecked my share of fossils learning how to prep.

I recently saw the first GRF fish that I prepped for someone (15 years ago). It wasn’t horrible but it was a little embarrassing. :DOH:

The first one I did is at the Field Museum.  I did it to apply for a job there, which I didn't get.  Heck, I was making it up as I was making it up as I went.  A friend who works at the Field recently told me that she had seen my fish in their collections.  I asked how it was.  She said, not too bad.  I wonder if she was just being nice.

9 hours ago, jpc said:

The first one I did is at the Field Museum.  I did it to apply for a job there, which I didn't get.  Heck, I was making it up as I was making it up as I went.  A friend who works at the Field recently told me that she had seen my fish in their collections.  I asked how it was.  She said, not too bad.  I wonder if she was just being nice.

Mine showed up in a collection my local rock shop owner purchased. Thankfully, he doesn't know much about fossils. :D

I’m back in business! A new capacitor and minor rewire (in order to facilitate a different cap type) and the dust collector is back up. And, my replacement Micro Jack stylus arrived yesterday! Brook at PT was nice enough not to laugh at me for dropping my scribe when I ordered the replacement. I also picked up some replacement o-rings for the ME 9100 (It’s overdue for some maintenance) while I was on a spending spree.

While I was at it, I picked up a set of 5x eyepieces for my microscope. I caught a random sale and got them for $10! This will help my field of view for larger objects that don’t need 10x but still fit in the cabinet. Hurray for less mess in the lab! 

46 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

Brook at PT was nice enough not to laugh at me for dropping my scribe when I ordered the replacement.

Dont feel too bad.  Ive done this twice! 

RB

I've started fo

On 11/7/2019 at 11:37 PM, Ptychodus04 said:

Last night's prep video

I've started following you on Instagram for your videos :thumbsu: I've just completed a specimen that's possibly a rhinesuchus skull, so loads of teeny tiny ridges on the head. I think doing a time lapse is my next challenge (I sat for ages trying to decide if I should get a trinocular microscope for a camera when I bought mine, I chose binocular) , but it might be problematic because the specimens I'm contracted to do at the moment are for the museum, so intended for research. So I may not be able to post! But keep posting yours! Love seeing prep work from other parts of the world (thanks internet!). 

Tiffany

Uncovering the late Permian one fossil at a time